Deflection

By Richard - 25/06/2012 03:03 - United States - Uxbridge

Today, I was talking with my wife of five years, and I gave her a few hints about wanting kids. After our talk, she looked at me completely serious and said, "Yeah yeah, kids are great and all, but can't we just get you a dog?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 484
You deserved it 6 198

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Didn't you talk to her about that matter before you married her?

Maybe adopt? She may just not want go thru labour.

Comments

Aspen_Grace33 27

Had you never had a conversation about children before now? Sorry to hear that, but good luck with your dog!

I'd rather have a dog than a kid any day.

Probably should have talked about it before you got married. Her not wanting kids is her perogative and you can't force her to change.

I love how everyone says they should have discussed it before marriage. We can't know if they did or not, but even if they did, people change their minds as they get older. I didn't want kids, but I can't be happier that I changed my mind. My daughter is the best thing in my life.

constipatedlady 0

My husband and I discussed changing minds, answer? We comitted to not having kids so, tough luck if something that awful happened in my mind or his. Choosing to have children is irrational, maybe OP should get some meds?

Pray tell, how is it so irrational? It's great that you both committed to that decision, but it doesn't mean someone is ****** in the head for deciding they want kids.

Kids are over-rated. They are 18 years (if you're lucky nowadays) of frustration and they're expensive. Plus, you won't have to waste your best years dealing with poopy diapers, vomit, car seats, bad behavior, and all the noise that goes with bringing new life in the world. It's already starting to get pretty overcrowded on this planet. Although, if you just have to have kids, maybe consider adoption. Lots of kids out there that need love.

Agreed!! I thought I was the only one who thinks like that!

Hey, look on the bright side, OP - a dog is all the poop, all the training and all the noise, minus the college funds. It's an excellent deal!

I know a lot of couples that decide they don't want or are unable to have children. They all own dogs. :P Sounds like your wife was trying to compromise with you. Give her a break. It'll probably be a few more conversation than just the one, 'til she knows you're serious or not. Having children is a big decision.

I'm concerned that you "gave her a few hints". Why didn't you just come out and say it? I'm in a situation where I want children and my partner doesn't, but it's not something that either of us are shy to talk about. He's very open about why he doesn't want them -- thinks we're too young (25 & 27; I agree with him) and that we're not responsible enough (I agree with that as well) and he's just not sure he'll ever really want them. I can understand that last one, but I'm not happy about it. Whatever her reasons, my point is really that you can't know -why- she doesn't want kids unless you actually discuss it openly. Hints don't get anybody anywhere; you'd hate it if she started dropping hints about something as massively life-changing as this instead of just talking about it like an adult.

Yah, my soon to be ex strung me along about wanting to have a child. 10 years of my life wasted. :/