By Anonymous - 01/12/2013 06:07 - United States

Today, I reduced my psychologist to tears. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 314
You deserved it 4 404

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Probably the shortest FML I've ever read. Bravo.

OP told the psychologist what happens in the beginning of the movie "Up".

Comments

Tell your psychologist that you'll help them with their problems for a "small" fee.

I would like to know a bit more detailes about this.. Of course not if it's too personal, but did your psychologist cry because of your issues or because it brought up some of their own, or? I hope you're both okay and that you get better!

DenBriZel 31

This is actually really sad :( I'm sorry OP

Please don't let this get you down further. As someone studying psychology and its various branches, I suggest changing therapists -- maybe give it another shot with your current one, but a guide needs to remain calm (never cold, just needs to give off the right energy for you), and yours may possibly have emotional involvement now. You may also want to try cognitive therapy -- of course I don't know what your situation is, but this field does wonders in basically all situations, especially with trauma/stuck points/automatic thoughts and other such pain. But most importantly, as cliche as it sounds, don't give up -- I say that just not as someone with a decent understanding of the (yes, unique but uniform at its base, nonetheless) process of healing, but as a fellow human. Good finds its ways to us. And if you were just trying to get your poor psychologist to cry, please pass the aforementioned to him/her -- especially the bit about cognitive therapy. :)

My shrink clearly is emotionally involved. She cries frequently. But you know what? As sorry as I am for causing her to be upset, her reactions are very helpful to me. So I don't think emotional investment is always a reason to change therapists...

I agree. When you're delving into incredibly deep emotions and talking about subjects that most people would find upsetting, I don't find it surprising that therapists are sometimes upset by it.

It's really good to get genuine responses, in fact if you don't then you DEFINITELY should change therapists, the idea is just that your problem shouldn't begin to feel like his/her own problem to the therapist, otherwise he/she won't be treating you so rationally. If your situation suits you, go right ahead, that's all that matters!

I don't think you should change therapists just because they cried, if you think about it, it's probable hard to listen to some of the troubling things that patients have hidden in their minds. There'd be more reason to switch if they were like you said, cold. If the therapist does cry, it's more of a good thing than bad really.

I don't think your psychologist was cut out for the job. They should be prepared for these situations.

SherlockWHolmes 12

But imagine having to sit through countless hours of accounts of traumatic and difficult experiences. Yes, it's probably not the most professional response, but it certainly is a human response.

I've done the same, OP (not with a qualified psychologist but with a counsellor) and I was a little surprised and shocked. But you have to remember that they are just human, the same as you, and they have their own issues. Sometimes emotions happen, and although it might not be the most professional response, it's kind of understandable when talking about intense, emotive subjects. If you don't feel you can work with them, get a new psychologist. But if they're a good psych in other ways, I wouldn't be too put off. They were maybe just having a bad day.

Wizardo 33

Needs more context, was it tears of empathy and sadness or frustration? Still I think if the psychiatrist is willing, due to this they will try harder - nothing is better motivation than empathy.