Denial

By Anonymous - 01/12/2013 06:02 - Norway

Today, during a job interview, I was offered a sandwich. I politely declined, explaining that I'm a coeliac and would probably get very sick. He said coeliac disease "isn't real" and that gluten-free eating is just a fad. I had to leave when he kept pushing me to accept it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 776
You deserved it 3 912

Same thing different taste

Top comments

What a douche! I hate people like that! Better luck next time OP.

While I do tend to think gluten free eating is a bit of a fad it takes a special kind of stupid to think a coeliac is following a trend. FYL OP, there's more jobs out there!

Comments

What a douche! I hate people like that! Better luck next time OP.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

#86 life gives you lemon, not sandwiches. Now, EAT YOUR LEMON.

IworkAt711 14

86- My girlfriend has the same problem as OP, and when she eats gluten she gets intense stomach pains. It's best that OP didn't eat the sandwich.

When life gives you lemons say hey, free lemons.

BradTheBrony 19

When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons; do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down— WIth the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Know that feeling! I'm gluten and lactose intolerant and I have to tell people I'm allergic so they freaking understand.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Wizardo 33

We all know we should be asking Jaden Smith is these comments are real or are we seeing things with our eyes that are not real or are our eyes in fact not real? Such wonder...

Descartes: I think therefore I am. Or.... I think; I Exist. If you have conscious thought you are real. Just makes you feel bad for some of the people who clearly lack any conscious thought and are just mere illusions of the reality we perceive. Like this guy with the sandwich.

AssassinBug 15

Cogito Eggo sum I think, therefore I am a waffle.

is this the real life, or is it just fantasy?

martin8337 35

Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality.

One man's reality can be another man's fantasy..

77 look sometimes you just need to open your eyes, look up to the sky and see.

No it's all a dream. WAKE UP OP, WAKE UP.

Yes. A dream. Everybody pinch themself on 3. 1... 2...

Guys, this IS a dream, just not your dream.

BradTheBrony 19
Trickiest_K 9

Wow that is awkward, how is that imbecile in charge of hiring anyone!?

Imbeciles are always the ones with all the power

While I do tend to think gluten free eating is a bit of a fad it takes a special kind of stupid to think a coeliac is following a trend. FYL OP, there's more jobs out there!

Coeliacchic93 21

Cutting gluten out of your diet can have many health benefits, however it has to be done properly or its pointless. The people who say they need gluten free and the next minute are eating gluten, those are the ones who give gluten free a bad reputation. I am a coeliac and it can be difficult sometimes, the tiniest bit will make me violently ill. people can be very ignorant towards coeliac's.

TheDrifter 23

It seems celiac is on a massive increase. I'd never even heard of it fifteen years ago, now it seems one in five have it and the grocery store gave gluten free substitutes their own aisle.

I don't believe it's on the rise, but it's now being diagnosed properly. Many people were misdiagnosed with Crohn's Disease or IBS instead.

Coeliacchic93 21

I was diagnosed with IBS when I was 11, years later we found out my issues were due to misdiagnosed coeliac disease. sadly I hadn't heard of it till I was diagnosed. I think the general statistics are 1 in 100 have it but 90% of those that do, don't know. it's so easy to test for but something doctors don't do.

caysters 12

There are those, like me, who are not celiac yet gluten makes them sick. For me, there is an enzyme pill that helps me eat gluten without getting sick. The people who go gluten free for a fad are irritating when thy rub your nose in it. There are a lot of health issues associated with eating gluten. So many more people are sensitive to it than you'd think, but are being diagnosed with so many other things.

hooligyn123 18

Same here. I was told I had IBS and was lactose intolerant... I didn't find out I had Celiac until I was hospitalized from the damage to my intestines from eating wheat. Its called awareness and proper testing leading to accurate diagnoses. Not some random hokum.

Coeliacchic93 21

118 my mum is gluten sensitive. so she isn't a coeliac but get I'll if she eats gluten. however if she continues to eat gluten (which she doesn't) she may develop coeliac. we just have a gluten free household :-) I got proof of ignorance the other day when this girl started verbally attacking me because I try to raise awareness of it.

arandomusernameaa 20

What a twat! Better luck next time OP!

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
LocoMarshmallow 13

She would've got the job if it was

and I thought it was hard enough finding a job without any previous experience! at least I get to sit on my ass and eat any food I want to help cope with my crushing unemployability

My mom is a celiac and suffered for (I think) 27 years. I don't like that people are turning it into a fad because I'm on it for serious reasons as well and have been for years. It's serious and I hope you find a better job with a smarter boss.

one great thing about the fad is more gluten free products :) just looking on the bright side here

17- Actually, you're quite right. My younger brother was diagnosed with Celiac Disease when he was 5, after a very long stay in Winnipeg's Children's Hospital trying to figure out what was wrong with him, and that being over 25 years ago, there weren't nearly the options available to him aside from strict avoidance, and a lot of home made baking attempts using potato starches and tapioca flours and such. And while as a family, we didn't switch over to a strictly gluten free diet entirely, we did try to limit the cross contamination opportunities as much as possible. Having more people interested in a gluten free diet, or perhaps more awareness of CD in general, has seemed to make it more marketable to cater to that crowd, giving my brother and others like him more variety. And that is quite a bright side indeed, IMHO. :)

#17 unfortunately I was too late to edit my comment a second time but yes I agree. I don't like that people treat it as a fad and this is why things happen but I'm glad people SOMEWHAT are being truly diagnosed when they didn't know what was going on. GF foods have tons of preservatives and are no healthier than non-gf but at least people are more aware and not putting it on unnecessary things, so yes, hooray for it being a fad. ;) Edit: my mom has a gluten free bakery of her own and 4 licensees, pretty cool stuff. Healthy and seriously really good tasting, not even bias. I believe one of her licensees was written about in the LA times. :o)

I do agree on the glutenfree being a fad, but he got over the line when he tried to push you into eating it. Especially when you told him you have coeliac.

Eating gluten-free IS NOT a fad. I have a friend who is gluten intolerant and has to eat gluten free foods.

That's something entirely different. I was aiming at the diet-like plan that's about eating glutenfree or as few gluten as possible that seems to be the craze right now. (I hope you get what I mean, my English is seriously failing right now)

perdix 29

#30, for people who don't have Celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, eating gluten-free certainly is a fad that gives people zero real benefit and actually cheats them out of a source of protein.

Point taken 33&36. Also 33, your English was good.

Just because it is a fad doesn't mean that there aren't people with a genuine need. Yes, there are genuinely people who are gluten intolerant, I know a few. By the same token, there are some people who recognize that gluten may be a healthier alternative, and rather than saying they chose to lead a gluten free life, they say "Oh, no... I'm gluten intolerant.", though that may not be a fully accurate statement. Just food for thought. :)

juturnaamo 29

I think it's silly for any person to accuse a person of being untruthful when they share a medical issue, however, at a certain point enough people are making ridiculous self diagnosis that others will, at least internally, doubt them. You'd think that "I have Celiac disease" means "I went to a doctor, and after a thorough medical examination he determined that I have Celiac disease." Instead, it frequently means "I stopped eating gluten for a while, and I felt good, so I realized I must have Celiac disease."

You know, I think 11# hit the nail on the head perfectly simply by saying the interviewer crossed the line when he tried to push the sandwich on Op, when she clearly didn't want it, Regardless of why. The reason for Op's choice is irrelevant: she didn't want the ******* sandwich, that's reason enough without needing to justify her response, drop it and move on to the next interview question. ;p

Thank god u left.. imagine if u got hired and worked with this guy

12- I almost completely agree with you as, if this guy is that convinced Celiac Disease isn't real while trying to force a sandwich on Op, I can only wonder if or when he'll try to Prove he's right by slipping Op a wheat or gluten product into something at work. Op would have to triple check Every food surface she touches, drinks, eats, etc, for her entire career more than she probably already does. Avoiding accidental contact is one thing, but if someone is determined to "poison" you, that's a much bigger problem, obviously. :p