By JudasThePriest - 01/12/2013 07:42 - United States - Greensboro

Today, while delivering pizzas, someone ordered $19.41 in pizza and wings. After finally finding her appartment, she paid me in two sandwich bags full of pennies and nickels. I had to count them out before giving her the pizza. We aren't allowed to enter the residence, and it was 22 degrees. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 576
You deserved it 3 216

Same thing different taste

Top comments

perdix 29

At least you got paid in cold, hard cash. :)

JMichael 25

Comments

JMichael 25

He was finished in the nick-el of time! I'd say about a quarter of an hour?

Oh well, another day another sandwich bag of change

ViRepz 28

22 degrees is the perfect temperature not too cold and not too hot. OP is just a windger....

I thought that too but then I realised that OP probably meant Fahrenheit

naarz 9

What the hell, hopefully she at least gave you a tip for all that.....

perdix 29

At least you got paid in cold, hard cash. :)

At least in my work we can only accept so much in change and that's if it's rolled as well, OP fyl.

countryrose92 23

That's what my response would have been- "I'm sorry company policy states that we can only accept change above 5$ if it is bank rolled- do you have another method of payment?"

78, I said that countless times and each time being given a look of disgust. Sometimes even got change thrown at my head all while trying to keep my composure. Some people are nuts, I pay by the good ol bills, and if it's raining, they guy keeps the change so he don't have to count it out in the rain haha

If it had been Celsius, he most likely would not be complaining. Let's use logic here.

There would be no problem if it was 22 degrees Celsius, would there?

Well. he still would have gotten a bag full of little coins. And I personally prefer 22F over 22C

myeviltwin 20

I would have still complained no matter how nice the weather. Counting out that much change takes time. Time that he could have been making money delivering to non-douchebag customers. Customers who know that tipping in not a city in China.

AnOriginalName 19

22 degrees Celcius is just over 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Given that weather, I'd have enjoyed taking my time counting the change before giving her the pizza and heading back to work. That brings up a good point, actually. Did the woman expect her pizzas to stay warm while OP was counting out the change.

22 degrees Celsius is 71 degrees Fahrenheit.

perdix 29

5 is getting voted down, but she has a point. It's very annoying when people say "x degrees" and assume everyone knows it's Fahrenheit.

OP is from the US. It's pretty safe to assume he uses Fahrenheit.

22F in North Carolina? When did that cold front come through?

Although that's a valid question please shut the **** up

Last week but it was in the 60's today and will be in the 70's by the end of the week.

I agree, #77. Unless OP is from the mountain region near App State when it snowed last weekend or delivered pizza at 3:00 in the morning in said region, I'd call bull on that temperature.

olpally 32

If she wanted frozen pizza, she should just have gone to jewel and gotten some. What a waste of time.

What I want to know is who the **** (besides those people) keep sandwich bags of nickels and pennies?

AnOriginalName 19

I do. Roll 'em up and bring them to the bank for cash. Last time I did that after saving for a while, I left the bank with over $100 in cash.

Same here! It keeps loose change organized for when i finally go the bank with it all. I don't have to roll them myself b/c my bank doesn't charge to use the counting machine, but last time I went, had over $300. Will probably have just as much when I go in this week.

Aren't there laws against paying that much change?

16 was making a joke because 13 said the same thing in a previous thread.

AnOriginalName 19

No, #13, customers aren't allowed to pay their bill with any form of legal tender they so choose. Holy crap. Do you actually believe that pennies hold value when you have a certain amount of them, but as soon as you pass a larger given amount, they're worth nothing?

16: funny, but I wasn't asking for the specific laws I was just merely posing a question for OP to think about.

Hahaha!! Ohh Welshite...your comment caught me off guard. My cough is back now. So thanks. Kudos though!

Why is #13 getting so much sarcasm here?? Where I'm from, you can only pay entirely in pennies up to the value of £1; I assume that law was made to stop people like OP having such a bad time. So no need for everyone's patronising comments :)

Because she said the same thing in response to a different comment. So, fully deserved.

Actually in Canada, before pennies lost value altogether and are no longer accepted as currency, it was illegal to pay in pennies past 25 cents but many people were not aware of that. So as a cashier, I could refuse a customers' currency if I counted more than 25 pennies.

bfsd42 20

31, don't act so knowledgable about something when you have absolutely no clue. She had a valid point, and one which IS law in MANY countries. Maybe not in the USA, but where I grew up, there were definitely laws about using small change for large purchases.

Actually 75, unless you can cite the specific law, I very much doubt there are laws against using legal tender in certain quantities. It's called legal tender because you are required by law to accept it as payment. Now, there might be exemptions built into the law that say over a certain amount, you are not required to accept it, but that puts it up to the person receiving payment. It makes it legal to refuse the payment, not illegal to tender the payment.

AnOriginalName 19

No, #83, it's legal tender because the customer has the legal right to pay his debts using any legal tender. However, a privately-owned business has the right to refuse service (and therefore payment) if the business owner so chooses. But otherwise 83 is spot-on.

as 71 states there used to be a law in Canada that limited the amount of pennies permitted to pay with to 25 cents. No shit you're gonna pay with "legal tender" but paying huge amounts with change is ridiculous and obviously there will be actual federal laws against that. Of course, the US would be an exception to anything smart.

Actually, in Canada, you can still pay with as many pennies as you'd like. We just don't give them out as change anymore.

Really, "obviously there are federal laws against it"? So please tell me, is it considered an infraction, a misdemeanor, or a felony? What are the fines or jail time for breaking such a law? If the business owner accepts the payment, are they considered an accessory to the crime?

110 you're an idiot and need to get educated.

112, please educate me then, since I did ask for specific details about this law *against* paying with too much change. If there is a law against it, it is prohibited and there is a criminal penalty for it. However, I expect that its much more likely that, as I said previously, that there are exemptions in laws, and that these exemptions allow you to refuse payment over a certain amount in change. That would mean that there is no law against paying too much change, but also no obligation too accept that much change.

drfifi 12

I dont know how it works for US dollars but in britain coppers (1 and 2p coins) are only legal tender up to 20 p so #31 i dont know why youre trying to be a smart ass because #13 has a totally valid point

Edit: Didn't see who was being addressed.

myeviltwin 20

I would have refused it. I delivered pizza in my younger days and mostly made pretty good money at it ($100 or more in a 4-5 hour shift). I worked for a small authentic Sicilian restaurant and not only would the owner have backed me up on that he would have put them on the do not serve list forever.

Imagine that! A boss with a backbone! I gotta get me one of those!

I manage a Papa John's and would have done the same in a heartbeat. Though I wouldn't say refuse the payment, just don't stand there and count it either! We'll free out the order, make a note not to deliver there, then run the change through a coin star and make it your tip :)

Sadly you probably worked for the 1% of employers who would back you up in that situation. Maybe OP can't afford to pay for the pizza if his boss won't support him. Pizza delivery is hardly the best remunerated profession.