By Anonymous - 21/05/2012 11:40 - United Kingdom

Today, I went to the orthodontist's to get my braces tightened, and I chose baby blue bands. Turns out they make my teeth look extremely yellow. Only a month and a half to go. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 724
You deserved it 4 827

Same thing different taste

Top comments

... That I would not recommend putting in your mouth.

Comments

Tali147 16

A berry color with a slight blue tint is the best color to make your teeth look whiter. But as far as I can tell from what my cousin has told me, you cannot change the bands yourself. I will warn my cousin about the baby blues...

At least it's only 6 weeks and not 6 months!

If youre a guy, and worried that you won't be able to talk to girls for a month and half, then carry around some watermelon... Bitches love watermelon.

Idonebeenhad 17

Same goes for the white/clear/yellow ones /: I usually went with green

58. Yes I did. The you was in a second person context. I wasn't calling OP a guy, I was saying that if you ( second person ) are a guy, and this happens to you, that you should bring watermelon.

Yea I don't think it's the baby blue bands that make your teeth look yellow, I believe that would just be your teeth.... Try a tooth brush, its a lot cheaper than going back to the orthodontist to order a different color.

70: that's not true at all. you've obviously never had braces. I, on the other hand, have. and yes, they do make your teeth look yellow. I always thought my teeth really were yellow until the orthodontist told me otherwise. just think of the end results! you'll have perfectly white teeth!! :D

KM96 24

Note to self : Dont EVER get baby blue. Thnx for telling me this OP. Sorry that you have to suffer now though :(

That's why I always get dark colors!! Normally purple. One time I got yellow, and my teeth looked disgusting!! But OP you learned something!!

I always asked for gray after my incident. gray usually makes your teeth look better :)

Oh, but I have baby blue bands right now and I thought they looked pretty snazzy...

nichole818 5

Thank you. I had braces and te baby blue never made my teeth look yellow. So you obviously had dirty teeth to start with.

Idonebeenhad 17

70- have you ever even had braces? If you did then you'd know that they DO in fact make the color of your teeth seem different.

aznbiznitch666 4

That's what I always got too. And it kinda blends in with the metal making the whole experience of having them less horrible.

Can't you just go back and ask for a different colour? But then I suppose if you could this wouldn't be an FML. Try and buy new ones that compliment the wonderful hue of your teeth! Good luck OP.

boxbrandon11 20

There is this thing called bleach....

... That I would not recommend putting in your mouth.

maytheforce_ 0

Now, who'd put bleach in their mouth? "Where's the blegh?" "The what?" "-holds bottle of bleach- the blegh." "Oh you mean bleach." Unless of course you want to die.

TarieBoo 2

oooor instead of a suicide attempt, OP could brush her teeth?

Kefka91 15

But, "bleach is healthy. It's mostly water, and we're mostly water. Therefore, we are bleach." -Nathan Explosion

I'm fairly sure they said that the bands make their teeth look yellow… don't think brushing's gonna help if the bands are the problem to begin with

allison70471 1

So go buy some bands and change them. If you change them when your bands pop, you should be able to change the color anytime you want.

There are two different types of bands for braces. There are the rubber bands that help realign teeth, usually on the side and easy to replace, and there are bands that hold the main wire to the brackets on the teeth. These rubber bands are the colorful ones and must be replaced by an expert. I am not an orthodontist, but I had braces myself.

Idonebeenhad 17

You need a special tool to get the bands off easily, and even then you shouldn't do it yourself.

the best solution would be intense whitening toothpaste :) And the good news is that it's only for 1 and a half month, it's better to suffer a little shame instead of having deformed teeths or so from not taking care of it in any way. **** your life though, it must be pretty embarrasing to feel having yellow teeths, and maybe you are actually just overreacting, people can have a tendency to do that when concerning themselves. But it will be sorted out later anyway, so be happy when you are done with it, take care :)

I completely agree Keevarou. I know from experience that being self-concious can make one overreact in certain situations--this being a prime example. Keep your chin up OP! You'll get used to it, and better times are ahead.

The_Hitdude!!!! You're back :D Back on topic. It's only a month and a half, you'll make it OP. Just think of the beautiful teeth you'll have after you get your braces off.

Thanks guys! It's good to be back. Can't say I'll be commenting nonstop, but you'll definitely be seeing more of me. Back to the FML!

xStaciexLynnx 15

Actually whitening toothpaste is the worst solution. You don't whiten your teeth while wearing braces. It would leave you with yellow squares on your teeth where the bracket was covering the tooth.

Yeah when i had braces, i choose baby bleu one time and it made my teeth look mad yellow even though there really white. Fyl op:) but its only a month and a half so dont worry

tragickoosh 0

Keev you got like the nicest comments lol

Aug1508 9

Or....smile with your mouth closed.

But that's not a natural smile, that's hiding it.

LoveMay 10

And I doubt OP can keep his mouth closed for a whole month and a half.

Pffft. I'd rather have braces than glasses. Braces are sexy and colorful. Until you get them caught in someone else's braces. Or foreskin, many FMLs ago.

44- obviously you have never had braces. Every month and a half you need to get them tightened and you can only eat soft foods for a couple days after that. Not to mention how they scrape up the insides of your mouth.. I still have scars in my mouth and I got my braces off 7 years ago. I would have much rather just needed glasses than braces.

No, I've never had braces, but due go my life circumstances, it would be more convenient. My glasses are alway being broken. Plus, braces are sexy. At least on the people that I've seen. And yes, I'm crazy c: Nice to know you care about my mental health *hugs*

eliaaa11 2

I had braces for almost two years. i thought i was rather cute in them... right after that ingot glasses. i'd rather have braces then glasses because braces are short term where as you have your eye sight for the rest of your life

wow, wtf. I just got braces put in today, and I legit chose the blue colour, too... oh god. =|

leyylalala 1

I have the baby blue bands and I don't think they make my teeth yellow... So I think you will be fine

Unless Op's teeth are really yellow and makes the yellow bands look white!

I am sure dude1122332 was being sarcastic

Don't worry, they'll turn green after a while. Blue + yellow = green

you have an answer for everything.

A month and a half really isn't that long. And I'm sure they can't look THAT yellow unless you already smoke two packs a day, or something. Seriously, just forget about it. I doubt everyone's gonna be pointing and laughing at you, saying "HAHA YOUR TEETH ARE YELLOW!!!"...... No.

Teeth are naturally yellowish. You know all those people in magazines and in films with sparkly white teeth? VENEERS AND PHOTOSHOP.