By medosin - 21/05/2012 12:10 - Austria

Today, I went into Whole Foods asking if they carried a supplement called Carnosine. The girl assisting me had no idea what it was, but asked, "Is this for weight loss?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 324
You deserved it 4 586

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well it seems like she wasn't trying to be mean, but she shouldn't assume. Maybe alot of people come in for weight loss pills?

you shoulda just been like "yeah, I bet you know all about that", then walked off with yo diva self.

Comments

Well, least she was trying to give customer service :x

Exactly, if you don't want assumptions from people trying to help you, give more information up front. Especially when it's regarding something most people would have little idea what you are talking about.

I'd have to agree with you guys on this one. How the hell would the person know? The person behind the counter probably asked with out the intent to hurt anyone's feelings. She sells condoms, tampons and laxatives amongst other things...

Trisha_aus 15

I agree she probably wasn't trying to be mean but isn't there a nicer way of asking a question like that?

She could have just asked what it's for instead of making an assumption.

Boygenius50 8

You should totally sit on here.

I agree with middlecyclone, she should have said, "what is it used for" rather than just guessing. That was bad customer service on her part.

noto_fml 0

Exactly you at least gotta give her props for trying to help figure out what type of supplement it is. OP didn't really give enough details based on the FML.

I have to disagree. If you don't know what it is ask and of not go look it up on the computer. Dont ever assume when it comes to meds/ supplements.

There seem to be a lot of disgruntled retail workers on this site. It's not that hard to give decent customer service. I worked retail for years and hated it but I still would've asked a more general follow-up question to avoid getting too personal and allow the customer to supply details if he/she was soinclined. Sometimes just saying you're unfamiliar with a product is enough of an invitation for the customer to cut you off and drone on about what it is he/she wants.

Carnosine can be used for weight loss, although not necessarily a "go to" supplement for that purpose; stimulates certain functions to encourage breakdown of fat. Even if she didnt know this though, it's possible she may have been thinking it was related to L-Carnitine, which people use for weight loss and muscle building.

Well it seems like she wasn't trying to be mean, but she shouldn't assume. Maybe alot of people come in for weight loss pills?

She was just trying to figure out what exactly you wanted. All you had to do was explain what it was, it's no big deal.

LoveMay 10

Exactly. It could've been an ordinary question just to figure out what you're asking for.

But really she could have just said "what is it used for?" or something similar.

Some people just don't think of what they say before they say it, but I don't think she meant to offend you OP.

alwaysrunnin 3

I'm just curious to know what it is too though;/ don't wana make assumptions!

Vociferouslife 4

I think OP took it the wrong way. Most supplements/vitamins are seen as some kind of weight loss assistant. Sounds to me like OP has some self-esteem issues

Well she was trying to figure out something about a product she don't know at all, so that wasn't a bad try tho :p lol

Twas a swing and a miss in my books... My books about how to not insult people.

She must be a new employee OP. Regardless, she should at least know what she's helping people with. I'm sure it was an honest question though, and she wasn't implying that you're fat. Still, FYL for having to put up with an inexperienced twit.

Is not that serious, I don't think it was a question that meant to hurt anyone.

icecreamdriveby 5

Have you ever worked in retail asshole? It's impossible to remember every single item off the top of your head, i doubt she's an inexperienced twit, she just wasn't familiar with what op wanted.. Granted she could have rephrased her question.

^True. However, I didn't call her an inexperienced twit because she didnt know what the product was. I wouldn't expect an employee to know every item in the store, but she could've said something more professional than "is this for weight loss?". Maybe something like "could you be more specific?" or "I'm sorry, could you explain what kind of product that is?". There's no shame in not being sure about something. Granted, she probably didn't mean to offend OP.

She was probably asking that because OP is fat. Otherwise I'm sure she wouldn't have said "is this for weight loss?"

I worked in wholesale asshole for awhile, 72... But I'm guessing the inventory is a bit different, so it's probably not all that relevant to the topic at hand.

_ebbonyy 11

You should have asked 'Do you know from personal experience?' :)

reddudeover 2

That would imply that she was fat and is now skinny. I don't see that as an insult more as a compliment for taking responsibility for your health and weight.

firefighterjohn 9

ppl in and around charotte

you shoulda just been like "yeah, I bet you know all about that", then walked off with yo diva self.

imavelociraptor 6

Dont forget the neck roll either

Mister_Triangle 21

And, most importantly, don't forget your confidence. Doing this half-assed is just embarrassing

Aw that's rude. Doesn't she know that if you assume it makes an a$$ out of you and me ?

I don't if assumptions makes you an ass; turning the 's' into dollar signs certainly does.

Oh 9, everyone knows that is ass spelled with s's and not $'s. At least I thought everyone knew.

Sorry, last time I said ass my comment was moderated, I didn't want that to happen again. But that was pretty funny 107 & 71.