By -insert clever nickname here- - 29/04/2012 23:56 - United States - Seattle

Today, I asked the girl I'm madly in love with out to dinner. When she asked me if I would pay, I jokingly said, "Well, that depends on how the date goes." She looked me up and down and said, "No thanks then." FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 514
You deserved it 15 007

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Guess she can't take a joke. Must not be the one. Sorry OP :(

At least the money you would have spent on the dinner can go towards a girl with a sense of humor !

Comments

Madly in love sounds a little strong for this one.

I'd say that joke was a good filter… a filter for her attitude, sense of humor, and how invested she is in a potential relationship. It didn't necessarily allude to sex, but it does reveal about how much she can give as opposed to take, which doesn't seem like a lot. I'd say YDI for dodging a bullet, but I clicked FYL :)

Mister_Triangle 21

I agree with you. To me, her response shows that she was more interested in getting a free meal than she was in OP. As soon as she thought that she might have to pay for her half, which, in 2012, is completely reasonable, she rejects the idea . OP dodged a bullet and saved himself from future trouble

I completely agree with 25 and don't understand why everyone immediately assumes shes a bitch or something. Personally I wouldn't make such a tasteless joke until I knew the person a little better, but maybe that's just me.

Personally I wouldn't ask if he was going to pay.. Especially before we even went on the date.

That is a good point but these days the man is not automatically expected to pay. I would not have been offended by her asking that it's a legitimate question.

Besides after some thought I now believe she actually has a great sense of humor and just fired a joke right back at him ;0)

bro you joke around with that stuff during the date. not when asking her out. why would you set yourself up for that?

Just had a side thought. Anybody else think she might have been joking with him?

septemberpeaches 8

She may have been joking asking if he would pay and maybe he creeped her out by the way he executed his answer... So it is possible that's why she gave him the "up and down"

OK, didn't anyone contemplated the other side? Even if joking, the OP actually called her a ***** ("I'll pay for the dinner if you sleep with me afterwards") and she made a point while refusing. So, yes, YDI. Make better, non-sexist jokes that are actually funny next time.

Idk how you got that he would pay if she slept with him...that isnt the only way to have a good date ya know

It was already said earlier, but doesn't sleeping together come AFTER the date, not during? He said "if the date went well." My thoughts: she's a bitch, OP is lucky he dodged her, because with that attitude she sounds like a gold digger.

I think you'll find the she made herself out to be a ***** by asking the question, which itself implied that she would only provide OP with her company if it was going to be financially beneficial for her.

Timbo05 4

Did u say it like an asshole? Or did u laugh when u said it?

Do you really want a girl who asks you if you're going to pay for dinner? Sounds like a loser without class. You can do better with that sense of humor of yours OP. Go find someone else.