By -insert clever nickname here- - 29/04/2012 23:56 - United States - Seattle

Today, I asked the girl I'm madly in love with out to dinner. When she asked me if I would pay, I jokingly said, "Well, that depends on how the date goes." She looked me up and down and said, "No thanks then." FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 514
You deserved it 15 007

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Guess she can't take a joke. Must not be the one. Sorry OP :(

At least the money you would have spent on the dinner can go towards a girl with a sense of humor !

Comments

Its all in the delivery, maybe you said it in a creepy manner and she thought you really were expecting something out of line for a first date. it is strange that she asked if you would pay for the date though, I don't think Ive ever asked a guy that.

probably because she didnt really wanted to go with him on a date. but if he pays its a free meal.

oh my - you're better off without her, OP ;)

Am I the only one that is confused as to why the guy should always pay? Like, I think if it's a first date go halfies!

It has something to do with US Dating culture. in my country splitting the bill is common on a date. Everyone pays for what he consumes. Because dating isnt about eating stuff but to get to know the person.

Forget the dumb joke, it sounds as though OP was interested in her, but she obviously wasn't in OP. At least she was decent enough to admit that the only reason she'd accept the offer was for a free dinner out, rather than leading him on.

Guess she's probably used to hearing that joke way too many times, by way too many people. I've had a few guys ask me out, and make little jokes like that. Those guys usually just got progressively worse with each interaction.

Has nothing to do with being a gold digger. Too many dudes ask chicks out, and think of a date as a form of prostitution. Where if they pay for the food, the chick has to spread her legs. Even a lot of self proclaimed nice guys who will pay for the date regardless, will still take every opportunity to make a sexual innuendo, or sexual joke. All that does is lead to a really awkward experience. I always paid my own way if I went out with anyone. But what you did with yer joke, was set off a lot of red flags to chicks who have had to deal with that crap for probably the vast majority of their dating lives.

You think that was funny? I wouldn't go out with you either. ydi