By kyla - 24/04/2011 05:56 - United States

Today, while shopping at American Eagle, I found the same "$1,500" wedding ring my fiancé proposed to me with, marked on sale for $10.95. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 071
You deserved it 9 600

Same thing different taste

Comments

That's okay, just put a quarter in one of those machines and get a ring pop for his

TinyDude 10

best pary is that it is edible lols.

hmm how cam you not tell a ring is fake? each ring is stamped if it's real gold. and it's not that hard to tell if a diamond is a fake.. especially compared to a plastic one in a 10.95 ring.. wow just wow. You still got proposed to so that's a plus

yea but she wasted about 1490 dollars

RedPillSucks 31

Did she say it was plastic? Unless you get the ring appraised right on the spot (a bit tacky) its not always easy to spot a cubic zirconia ring unless you're familiar with them. Not everyone is. The bottom line is he shouldn't have misrepresented the price of the ring. Paying $1500 for a ring nowadays would get you a real small diamond. The tipoff is if he got her some 2 or 3 carat diamond and claimed some really low price.

it wouldn't even be a cubic zirconia for 10 dollars

It wasn't really marked down from 1500, he lied saying it was 1500 when really it's a cheap $10.50 ring.

SteelCladAngel 0

it could be rhinestone or crystal quartz most 'diamond' rings you get at places like that are typically rhinestone, crystal quartz or CZ depending on price

catrav77 0

captain obvious has arrived.

All4UandOnlyU 4

yes it could be actually, and with no knowledge of stones, someone could easily think it's real. How do you think con artists work? a durrr

There's a difference between 11$ and 1500$ it's pretty obvious

They work by targeting stupid people..."durr"

Just think of it this way, only the Chinese were exploited instead of Africans for your ring. (yes they are both horrible)

How do you know the ring cost $1500? if you asked, ydi.

Uraharas_Bankai 1

Maybe it was a REALLY good sale and it said the original price and the new one too hmmm

I have found out on accident how much gifts cost (like my promise ring...) I said to him "holy crap this must have cost an arm and a leg" before thinking.

Yeah well, prices have lowered since the credit crunch. :P

Sounds like something a douchebag would do. For all our UK friends, douchebag is kinda like a townie or a chav. I'm not sure if douchebag is as big over the sea as it is here, as I've watched a lot of British television and have yet to hear douchebag.

its not on tv but yeah people in the uk say douchebag when the mood takes them...

Most of us know what a douchebag is. We do watch American tv and movies But thanks for trying to clarify it, most Americans' wouldn't.

I disagree, a douchebag is just someone who sucks at life, an asshole, a dog etc. Chav is just not having good taste and has a lot to do with social status. I know this from being on some UK forums. Douchebags can come from any background, rich, poor etc.

AlunKey 0

19 sounds like one himself.

lindyevv 0

ok I know the term douchebag you redcoat but buts a bloody chav

lindyevv 0

I'm ****** up i read that wrong , sorry you gap of cultures you, and no offense to those Dbags over seas

alicec123 0

yes, us Brits do know what it means. Just 'cause it isn't on the TV doesn't mean people don't say it.

robinsn 0

If that matters that much to you, you shouldn't be getting married. I hope he finds a better person to marry. You suck, OP.

free2speak 14

speaking from a female prespective, it matters. Not because he bought a $10 ring but because he didn't have the honesty to propose without one or a cheaper one. Yes, I'm sorry I grew up in a society (and culture) watching movies where a guy proposes with a shiny diamond. it not about money, it's about the thought and tradition. why do people get married? To get a piece of paper legalizing their relationship? No, its because of culture. That's the norm. the point here is not that he bought her a cheap ring and she being a feminist materialist bitch. No. The point is that he did not trust their relationship enough to buy her a $150 small gold ring and expect her to say yes. Heck, I know I want a simple diamond ring on my engagement but if my fiancé doesn't have the means, I'll happily settle for a $10 ring until we can save enough money. It can be 20 years down as long as he tells me about it first. Most women are happy to he engaged, it's heart breaking to know that it all started with a lie.

I agree with 60. it does matter! the ring should be special - he should have been honest to her

so your telling me that if he would have told her that it was a $15 ring, she would be happy to marry him? I don't think so. the guy would be too embarrassed to say so. i thought marriage is supposed to be the bond between two people who really love each other, and not just to see how much you can get out of the other person. thinking that the ring was $1500 made her happy, in this case ignorance is bliss. if she really loves him, she should stay with him. there are marriages that are in far more worse conditions than this. and who knows, maybe in some time he could afford a better ring for her. and at least he wont be able to afford to go to a strip club :P

BooGhosted 0

augh, nice points at the top but got tired and decided to waste my energy by saying it was too long instead.

ReynshineCutting 10

I agree with 60 100%. The main fml here is that he lied to her and hoped he wouldn't get caught. And he started the whole process of "my fairytale wedding" that every girl dreams about since they're 4, instead of being realistic. It's not about the money, but giving a woman the impression of that fairytale only for it to be ripped away is just mean. And come on people. Unless he totally destroyed his credit at some point, he could've gotten a $1500 ring with a store credit card. My fiancé had no credit but still got approved at Kay and was able to make payments for a year on my $1700 ring. It's really not that hard.

akrupitzer 6

Sorry 171, but if he is embarrassed then he really shouldn't be trying to get engaged in the first place. Real marriage is accepting the other person and if he knows she won't accept him, then he shouldn't be proposing. This is all his fault. He lied!!! How can anyone start a marriage on a lie?

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

He still shouldn't have lied. If he can't afford it he should have owned up to it.

It's true that price shouldn't matter, but you do want a ring that is going to last as long as the marriage...unless that's the boyfriend's point!

the whole point of the ring is the symbol it signifies, that is, the meaning is that the to be husband is giving her a ring as a symbol of love and faithfulness not what he is financially worth!! the ring is wore as a reminder of the vows they have spoken that day, wedding day. I understand that women would want a $20,000 ring for that matter since is the most significant day of their lives but they have to know their to be husbands financial circumstances as well. this is what happens when they don't know each other well. fackkk, why women???

Some women are like that but not all. Me, I'd be happy Dothan anything from $10-$500. Of it was more than that I'd be upset for him not thinking about his financial situation. Every women is different. I read this FML as "damn him! he lied!" not "why in the hell did he get me such a cheap ring?"

free2speak 14

speaking from a female prespective, it matters. Not because he bought a $10 ring but because he didn't have the honesty to propose without one or a cheaper one. Yes, I'm sorry I grew up in a society (and culture) watching movies where a guy proposes with a shiny diamond. it not about money, it's about the thought and tradition. why do people get married? To get a piece of paper legalizing their relationship? No, its because of culture. That's the norm. the point here is not that he bought her a cheap ring and she being a feminist materialist bitch. No. The point is that he did not trust their relationship enough to buy her a $150 small gold ring and expect her to say yes. Heck, I know I want a simple diamond ring on my engagement but if my fiancé doesn't have the means, I'll happily settle for a $10 ring until we can save enough money. It can be 20 years down as long as he tells me about it first. Most women are happy to he engaged, it's heart breaking to know that it all started with a lie.

Jcbigbro, here, I give you a brain and some common sense. You need it. 1) stop with your sexism and generalizing. 2) the FML is more about the lying and bluffing than about the price. 3) a 10 dollar ring does have a shitty quality. Nice symbol of love. 4) why are you thinking OP (and aaaaaaall the women in the world) neglects her fiancé's financial situation? I don't want to be married, but I would like the ring as symbol of love. Therefore I want a ring that I like, one from Alchemy Gothic, and that's something of 30 dollar. They are handmade and have an excellent quality. Ironically enough, my boyfriend wants to buy something more expensive, because he finds 30 dollar too cheap. Now it's your turn again.

legitasaurusrex 0

#61 how on eath were you able to come up with that conclusion by reading a few sentences ment to make you laugh? but the sad thing is, you seem to truely believe what youre saying. it just boggles my mind how you somehow know EVERYTHING about their relationship, even their trust issues! the best part is, wait for it, this FML has a very very good chance of being FAKE. probably never happened. just moderated enough because it makes people laugh.

A7X_LoVeee 10

35 - As others have said, it's the fact that he lied. 77 - "a 10 dollar ring does have a shitty quality. Nice symbol of love." But something worth $20 more shows the "symbol of love"? Saying a $10 ring has a shitty quality but then saying $30 is acceptable just makes you look like a moron.

Sprocket 5

FYI, 1,500 isn't even that much for a ring. Tradition says that a ring should be about three months worth of pay. Hell, I'm not even rich but if you see a nicely made ring it isn't going to be 10 dollars and I would tell my girlfriend to save up in 10$ chunks for awhile till we can afford something nicer in the 100$ range at least. The worst part is he lied so badly. It'd be cuter if he proposed with a ring pop or something then said they were going to get their rings tattood on or just splurge on the wedding rings and not the engagement, if he wanted to save a buck.

96 no, she said afterwards that she wanted and ring from some goth place because they are well made, and coincidentally happen to be cheap, not the other way round. she was trying to prove a point about how not all women are materialistic idiots. however, a $10 ae ring is different since theyre a big chain store thing and not likely to handmake all their rings or even pay that much attention to them considering rings and jewellery arent the main thing that they sell. as lots of you have already said, for those of you who wanted to have a women-are-so-materialistic session, i reckon op was pissed off about the lying more than the cost of the ring. but we dont really know anything about her and as someones already said, its fairly likely this is fake so i wouldnt get too worked up over it. im just writing all this crap cos im bored and should be working.

The_Moustache 6

80, it clearly says in the FML that the boyfriend lied about the ring price. Most people could assume that that's why she posted it...

melibear89 7

my fiancé and I decided to use my claggdah ring that I got when we started our relationship. The ring didn't Cost much and it's not "look at me" kinda ring but the value of the ring is worth more than the most expensive ring there is. my ring has sentimental value to it as it's the ring I got from the man I love and will always love the rest of my life. the engagement ring is just a symbol of "being off the market" and being spoken for as well as the man showing the love he has for his girl. but it doesn't mean you have to have a 1500 ring on your finger to express your love for him.

honoshikun 3

It's not being materialistic, the reason women want guys to buy them nice engagement rings is so they last through the marriage, and in some cases so they can be passed down for generations.

DJEEPEE, where the fack do you see written in the original comment that refers remotely to the to be husband to be lying about it. The woman was implaying that she saw the ring pricetagged at $10 e.i. she is saying to herself "I cannot facking believe that my wedding ring is a cheap ass ring worth $10. she does not say anywhere that he lied. she is not angry to the husband that he lied to her. you don't see anywhere saying " I don't ******* believe that my shitty husband lied to me in buying me this 10 ring. she's JUST FACKING SURPRICED that her ring that she is wearing facing COST ONLY $10 dollars. I HOPE YOU GET IT. I am tired of explaining this. I have an analytic background of how people express themselves writing and speaking. you need to go back to get a degree and learn more how to decipher what she's tryingto imply in here.

read my last replay on this very comment tread

125 understands the comment. you are one of mine !!

A7X_LoVeee 10

Why do you say FACKING instead of *******? You sound stupid. -__-

A7X_LoVeee 10

Also, 280, it's implied that the subject of the price was brought up. How else would she know it supposedly was $1500? Although we don't know how it was brought up, the fact is she knew about the price. I think you should take your own advice in the last little paragraph that you wrote.

surpriced? implaying? What are these words?

Also, if he said it cost $1,500 when it really costs $10 that is saying something that is not true. Which is a lie. She doesn't say "he lied about the price" but she does say that he reported the price to be $1,500, when it was, in fact, $10. So, yes, she did say he lied. Now do you get it?

citrus girl SURPRICED---->> surprised implaying------->>>> implying errors I stand behind my argument that the girl is ashamed of wearing a piece of shit ring worth $10 the fact that the husband lied to her is secondary....

96 please read my last comment. the fact that the husband lied-argument is secondary.

298 the fact that you are bringing the facking professor "I know how to write everything and I decide who sounds stupid" YOU are the one who actually sounds stupid. in addition to your second comment that's what I am arguing about. the fact about the price, so you are just repeating my info dude. don't waste my time professor

hpdc 0

i'm still with you jcbigbro... I think you hit the nail on the head when you wrote that she sounds surprised. I think a lot of people on here are very young, and even though they don't know what they're talking about / their opinions aren't well thought out, they choose to voice them anyway - no matter what.

hpdc 0

free2speak and CitrusGirl - you are both so wrong and assume so many things that I don't even know where to start...

A7X_LoVeee 10

343 - Your first paragraph made absolutely no sense. Also why are you calling me 'professor'? I guess I have to spell everything out for you. I said it was IMPLIED that the fiancé lied, which is why she knew about the price. I wasn't "repeating your info" seeing as you ORIGINALLY said nowhere in the FML was it implied that she was lied to. However, it was, and everyone else seemed to pick up on it except for you. Once you realized that, you then went on to say that fact was "secondary". I cannot wait to see your response to this btw.

A7X LoVeee obviously you have not understood the simplest thing I wrote, the professor analogy. I must assume you are young and you are not capable enough to understand things a little bit more difficult than the things you deal with in a daily basis. my answer to everything you are arguing about is in my previous comments. go ahead a read them over so you can understand. if you find anything that you think you need to spell out for me bring the professor again.

A7X LoVeee and based on your responses you are a woman too. it order for this to be successful some woman need to just admit that they are categorized materialistic. it is implied that the man lied to her but that is not why she is posting the ******* comment. she is ******* SURPRISED THAT THE RING SHE IS WEARING ONLY COST $10 Dollars get it??? all of you who keep on saying that this FML is for the fact that he lied can go FTS ASAP woman immature that do not want to admit they are materialistic. .........

A7X_LoVeee 10

Oh my god! Yes I am a woman, thanks. Also don't sit here and judge me, saying I'm materialistic. Where the **** in ANY of my comments is that implied? I'll give you a hint: nowhere. You know why? Because I'm not. Once again, I like how at first you said it was nowhere implied that he lied to her(see your post, #280) but then you change your mind to say it was after all. Also everyone else seems to think that's why she's posting it(because she was lied to). You're the only one who thinks otherwise. I'd also like to point out that a majority of the comments you post receive negative votes(not just in this particular FML btw). So, I'm not the only one who thinks you're a complete dumbass. And please explain me the professor analogy. I'm dying to hear it.

you are really this dumb.... if you notice, all the commentators that have your back are WOMEN!!! don't you find that ironic??? I decided to say that it is implied that the guy lied but THAT IS NOT THE ******* REASON SHE IS POSTING THE FML. I can only pray to your God that you understand this difference. it is implied yes but it is not ******* written there. you SEE the ******* difference you womEn. **** me hard for this!!! you think I care about negative votes here. please woman. the professor analogy is homework for you. you want everything given to you. not today lol do something productive and learn something...

A7X_LoVeee 10

No I don't find that ironic. Why do you call me dumb when your grammar and spelling is horrible, and everything you post receives negative votes? You say you may not care but do you know what it shows? It shows that what you post is worthless and just plain stupid. You constantly say I'm stupid, yet I strongly urge you to reread your comments. Like I said before, I'm not the only one who thinks you're an idiot. Yes that is the reason. Everyone else understands this. It's not written there? So what. No I will "not **** you hard." How do you figure I want everything given to me? Please show me which comment shows that. Take your own advice about doing something productive and learning something cause you seem extremely ignorant to me(and many many others btw).

you are just a teenager: 18-19 stop wasting my time lady. brainless woman...

Naomimi_fml 6

Lololol Jcbigbro is an idiot. Just to throw in my two cents, I respect Jcbigbro's initial argument (that the point of the FML was that the ring was expensive) since everyone interprets these things differently. But once she understood the lying thing (..took her a while...) and that it was a stronger argument that her point about money, she decided to be a stubborn ignorant bitch. Even though the lying point makes a ton more sense, she still argued for her dumb point til the end. She clearly has some weird prejudice against materialistic women too, so seems to think that ALL women are materialistic. Looks like someone was bullied in high school.... There's nothing wrong with the price of the ring and the FML is obviously about lying, which Jcbigbro has realized but doesn't want to accept, as she is a little sore looser bitch. Since A7X_LoVeee had the better point, Jcbigbro attacked her intelligence and supposed lack of maturity, even though A7X_LoVeee took the time to write with correct grammar. The "professor analogy" is so ******* stupid, oh my god. Jcbigbro was just calling A7X_LoVeee a professor, since she was correcting her grammar... I'm sure that everyone already understands this, including A7X_LoVeee... I just wanted to explain it for Jcbigbro's sake, as she doesn't quite seem to get it and likes to think that it has a deeper meaning.

hpdc 0

it really shouldn't be about the price...or about what it's made of.. are you using the price tag to determine your worth to him? if you are, you're an idiot. my husband proposed with no ring - I thought I didn't want one until I fell in love with a beautiful turquoise and silver ring which cost all of $15...

this is a woman to have!! I like you already. see my post :)