By Stephie2009 - 30/10/2010 06:33 - United States

Today, my mother got remarried. I am now officially older than my step-father. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 693
You deserved it 3 144

Same thing different taste

Top comments

spikey818 9

it's like you have a little brother.

What's with all the people saying they love cougars? Those are dangerous creatures!!

Comments

Stephie2009 ... OP's name is Stephie. Anybody else catch that? Even though no gender was specified, I'm going out on a limb here and saying that OP is a girl ... anybody? Today, Stephie2009's FML got posted and everybody thought she was a guy. FHL

MissErikaHart 0

sounds like a young girl too. and the step dad is younger. yikes!

tmmundy 17

I never thought op was a guy!!! why would one think op was a guy?

CALIGIRLFYL 0

She must be a Hottie! LOL Go Mom!

SwiftKick2DA 0

atleast you guys can't play WOW together and eat hot pockets! although you'll have to get used to waiting on raids cause he has to bone ur mom.

Either the OP's mum had him young and that the step-father isn't that much younger than the OP but the age gap isn't overly extreme, or the OP's mum is a cougar (or some shade inbetween). However, I do wonder why it matters... Yeah, it might be weird for the OP, but if his mum & new step dad love each other, why should it matter?

It matters. That's just plain wrong. Sorry but I can't agree with you on this one.

CheshireHalli 19

I don't think it would matter if he was just younger, but I know where OP is coming from. I would have a hard time accepting him as "dad" if I were older, and that's more than likely the case here.

Cinn, as usual you are goddamn right. He isn't dad as OP is obviously an adult. Put another (slightly cruder) way, this isn't sick or wrong in any way. If the people love each other, who the hell are you people to judge them? Love is blind and all-inclusive. You can all go **** yourselves and OP needs to grow the hell up.

why? I know several people who have 10-15 yr age gaps between them and they have been married for years together. Love is love, and if they are happy, who cares? Sure it may seem odd, but really if it bothers her that much, don;t go to the house and visit, and if she lives with her mom still, move out

Keepmeonthedl - Fair enough, that's your opinion, but I would like to know why you think it is wrong rather than just weird? I mean, we don't know the age gap between the OP and his mum and we don't know how old the OP is and we don't know how old the new bloke is... I never meant to say it wouldn't be a little weird, just that it's acceptable and shouldn't matter IMO.

I agree with Doc and Cinn here (big surprise, I know). My mom is only a little older than my half-sister, and my little sis has a niece older than she is. It's not as uncommon as you'd think. I don't see why it's "sick and wrong" if the roles are reversed. If the step-dad was expected to raise her kids as his own, it might cause problems, but that's not necessarily the case here.

Cinn - I just can't imagine having a step-parent older than me, even if I was an adult. I guess it's fair to say that it's just weird though, rather than wrong, because you do have to take into consideration how old the OP is. If she's an adult I can see it as not being too bad. But I can also understand why OP is unhappy. I certainly would be if I were in her situation. If the age is small between OP and her mom then I suppose it's okay. But it would still bother me regardless. And if anyone disagrees, keep in mind that I'm only 15. I may not have all the knowledge that you guys do, but I do have an opinion.

CheshireHalli 19

I don't think the ages matter, but I personally would have a very hard time listening to a parental figure that I was older than. I don't think it's sick unless OP is like 18. But I do understand her being weirded out, regardless.

Keepmeon - You are certainly welcome to your opinion, I just like to know why other people think in a different way to me. It's just curiosity. And just 'cause someone is older, it doesn't necessarily mean they know more than you, life experience doesn't always bring knowledge. However, back to the point. I raised the uncertainty about the ages because depending on what numbers we put in, we get a variety of different situations, some weirder than others (in different ways to each other as well). Some of the extreme cases would come under the heading 'wrong' because it would mean that the OP and/or her step dad would be under-age and stuff. However there are situations where it becomes less weird... Also some people will find it weirder than others, and some will accept it easily enough with time, but that also depends on the situation as well.

the less the age gap can be is 14, that's the age op's mother can give birth to her. this means the lady is At least 14 years older then the stepfather. and that is a huge age gap. not to mention that op's stepfather is younger then her. that's twice the hit. i wouldn't accept that marriage

Actually girls can be pregnant before 14. However we'll assume everything is legal, that gets a minimum age of 16. Also, you suggest that the age gap is doubled when you factor in the fact that the step-dad is younger than the OP. We don't know it's that big, it could be a year or less... We don't have all the facts, we can't assume. It is a huge age gap, but marriages have worked on bigger, and so long as everyone's an adult I don't see the problem.

Cinn - Yeah no problem. I don't mine telling you why I think a certain way. And I know that life experience doesn't always bring knowledge. But I often have problems with people bringing my age into things because they think I'm not as smart or don't know as much as them. So I just added that in so people would know that I understand that I'm younger and may not know everything they know.

least he won't treat you like a child lmao!

Ewww your mom must be a vicious cougar. Rawr

ken328 0