Understanding

By nothanks - 22/08/2010 13:42 - United States

Today, after struggling with an eating disorder and hiding my symptoms for months, I got up the courage to tell my mom that I need help. Then she asked if an ice cream would make me feel better. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 738
You deserved it 5 833

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If someone has an eating disorder..how do you think they'll answer that no matter how thin they actually are?

mn_girl 0

nothanks, I don't know if you'll actually ever read this, but on the offshot that you do.... Stay strong. Eating disorders are an illness (despite what others may think). You did the right thing by going to your mom for support. I'm sorry she didn't support you. I went through the struggles of an eating disorder, too. I struggled with it for 2 years before finally seeking help. Now, 4 years later, I am finally to the point where I am moving on and living life without the eating disorder. Like I said, I don't know if you'll even see this, but if you do.....I saw that you are from Minnesota too. Park Nicolette has an amazing eating disorders treatment center called Melrose Institute. I strongly suggest that you give them a call. I had tried so many things and they were finally able to help me get better and move past my eating disorder. Stay strong, life will get better and you will beat your eating disorder.

Comments

I'm sorry, OP! :( I went through the same thing, and my mom didn't understand. She did, however, take me to a therapist...Which helped a lot, honestly! Maybe you could ask your mom if you could go to one, too.

kiddeadpool 0

for real lol it's stupid you had an eating disorder to begin with unless you had medical complications and if it's mental then you have less than an excuse

People like you should NOT be allowed to comment here. :/ You disgust me.

MY_LEFT_NUT 0

wow there are some FML addicts

Ben&Jerry's Cheesecake Brownie is the BEST! OP, your mom must've thought you were joking. Sit her down, or go get the help yourself. I mean you've already admitted you have a problem, you can take the next step!! Good Luck!

somynamesjanae 0

considering the fact that i'm an optimist,i like to think of it this way..it could be always worse. like she could of called you fat. lol but she didn't! and mint chocolate chip is the best. just sayin:)

ScaryGirl 4

I'm sure she was just trying to help. Maybe she's just not informed enough and didn't (and still doesn't) what to do. But you should quit whining over such stupid things -.-

I'm pretty sure that they didn't mean the eating disorder was stupid. It's stupid for there to be an fml because the mother offered her ice cream while trying (probably) to help. Cut the mom a break she doesn't know what to do in this situation

I love Mint Chocolate Chip! Or If you have vanilla with the reeses peanut butter cup topping!

I actually find this really sad. As someone who has suffers from, and in many ways still struggles with, an eating disorder, I can personally tell you that they are hell. They are completely debilitating, mentally and physically. People want to help you, but don't know how. And you resent them for it. You resent them so much. It isn't just about "getting that bitch to eat." Food isn't the only problem. They're a mental disorder and need to be treated as such. Nobody thinks depression can be cured with a shopping trip, or that dissociative identity disorder can be fixed with a name tag, so I've always been confused as to why so many people think a sandwich or an ice cream can fix an eating disorder.

Yes, things like seeing friends and 'shopping trips' make you feel worse. It's demeaning and causes anxiety attacks. I don't think anyone with an Eating Disorder will ever recover fully. They still have the voice, they still are anxious, paranoid, still feel funny in their skin. Of course, and they still have all the problems that are left over, the bad health, life outside of the disorder ruined.

lokidemon 0

Well your average friend/family member doesn't have the knowledge or background to help with the mental aspects of an eating disorder, so pressuring you to eat is the only thing they can do. So at least you're not starving to death. Even though I resent it too, I try to take it as a sign they care. OP, I'm sure your mother means well and you can't expect her to understand entirely. Good for you for telling her though, I hope you're getting professional help now.

yeah, wen my doctor first diagnosed me with annorexia, he was just like 'ne extra sandwhich a day will help you gain weight'. not helpful, i lost a further 5 kilos before i started to get over it and actually eat more. it feels better wen you eat :) for the record, my favourite ice cream is probably walls vanilla ice cream. i am so original. my annorexia put my tastes off things that are really sweet, except chocolate milk.