Understanding

By nothanks - 22/08/2010 13:42 - United States

Today, after struggling with an eating disorder and hiding my symptoms for months, I got up the courage to tell my mom that I need help. Then she asked if an ice cream would make me feel better. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 738
You deserved it 5 833

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If someone has an eating disorder..how do you think they'll answer that no matter how thin they actually are?

mn_girl 0

nothanks, I don't know if you'll actually ever read this, but on the offshot that you do.... Stay strong. Eating disorders are an illness (despite what others may think). You did the right thing by going to your mom for support. I'm sorry she didn't support you. I went through the struggles of an eating disorder, too. I struggled with it for 2 years before finally seeking help. Now, 4 years later, I am finally to the point where I am moving on and living life without the eating disorder. Like I said, I don't know if you'll even see this, but if you do.....I saw that you are from Minnesota too. Park Nicolette has an amazing eating disorders treatment center called Melrose Institute. I strongly suggest that you give them a call. I had tried so many things and they were finally able to help me get better and move past my eating disorder. Stay strong, life will get better and you will beat your eating disorder.

Comments

hateevryone 14

tell her to look up eating disorder

that's not that bad. a couple months after I got diagnosed I had to be hospitalized. they wouldn't give me insurance coverage because my BMI was too high. basically, I was too fat to get treatment for my eating disorder. it sure helped...not.

....most "eating disorders" are diagnosed to the people who are abnormally skinny or with anorexia or bulemia.

flyestgirleva13 0
KingCeltic77 18

Well if you have anorexia or bulemia you should be eating, shouldn't you?

It's a LITTLE bit more complicated than that. Yeah, sure, eating would help her gain weight, but she just -CAN'T-. It's part of the disease (anorexia). In contrast, if she has bulemia she might be eating a LOT of food - but then throwing it back up as to not absorb the calories. People with eating disorders cannot just "stop" what they're doing without psychotherapeutic help of some sort.

I'm sorry, OP. I went through anorexia and "exercise-bulemia" for 5 years, I know how you feel. When I went to a doctor, their method of dealing with my disorder was to send me home with meal replacement (Ensure or Boost "Plus Calories" type) to drink inbetween meals, and to write down what I eat everyday- which caused them to just tell at me about not eating. None of that shit worked because I'm not a ******* sheep, so they put me on a high dose of Prozac. Now, I feel nothing. Nothing at ALL. FYI: if you seek treatment, do NOT let them put you on an SSRI, other types of medication are better (and ssri's make you gain weight usually... For no reason. So it might not be a good method)... And make sure they LISTEN to your concerns and ideas! Good luck! :)

I am very impressed that you recognise and acknowledge that you have an eating disorder and hat you need help and also that you were brave enough to tell your Mum OP. Well done and best wishes, though I know what you are going through is horrible. Well done!!