Understanding

By nothanks - 22/08/2010 13:42 - United States

Today, after struggling with an eating disorder and hiding my symptoms for months, I got up the courage to tell my mom that I need help. Then she asked if an ice cream would make me feel better. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 738
You deserved it 5 833

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If someone has an eating disorder..how do you think they'll answer that no matter how thin they actually are?

mn_girl 0

nothanks, I don't know if you'll actually ever read this, but on the offshot that you do.... Stay strong. Eating disorders are an illness (despite what others may think). You did the right thing by going to your mom for support. I'm sorry she didn't support you. I went through the struggles of an eating disorder, too. I struggled with it for 2 years before finally seeking help. Now, 4 years later, I am finally to the point where I am moving on and living life without the eating disorder. Like I said, I don't know if you'll even see this, but if you do.....I saw that you are from Minnesota too. Park Nicolette has an amazing eating disorders treatment center called Melrose Institute. I strongly suggest that you give them a call. I had tried so many things and they were finally able to help me get better and move past my eating disorder. Stay strong, life will get better and you will beat your eating disorder.

Comments

you guys don't understand; an eating disoder is a serious thing where you DON'T wanna eat. so her mom suggesting that might of disgusted her and eating ice cream will make her think she'll get fat.

Come on now, do you really want to be the idiot?

just ******* eat my god it's not gonna hurt you stop being such a bitch and enjoy life...

WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? Having an eating disorder DOES NOT mean a person just RANDOMLY stops eating because they DON'T FEEL LIKE IT. It's a freaking DISEASE. They can't help it. They can't just start eating again as if they never stopped in the first place. Once you go down that road, there's no easy way back. They need help. They need to realize they're beautiful just the way they were before. They need to realize that eating won't make them ugly and fat. THEY NEED FREAKING HELP. And the OP was trying to GET that help and her mom was being as stupid as you guys are. Saying "just ******* eat" won't help.

Serafie 0

Oh baby, I'm so sorry for you... But it's really good that you can talk to your mom about it! I'm sure you'll get the treatment you need! Sorry about her asking if you wanted ice cream, it was probably a knee-jerk reaction, not any conscious thought on her part. You'll get better, don't worry! :) To all the people saying "just ******* eat," know what you're saying before you say it. An eating disorder is not simply someone thinking "I don't feel like eating." It's a disease, just as cancer and malaria are diseases. It's not simply "Ugh if I eat that I'll get fat." It's /far/ deeper than that. If you want a little bit of insight as to how it feels, read "Wintergirls" by Laurie Halse Anderson.

I understand exactly how you feel, I have an eating disorder and they are so hard to have to deal with. #82 I really like what you said. that's really nice and inspiring :)