Understanding

By nothanks - 22/08/2010 13:42 - United States

Today, after struggling with an eating disorder and hiding my symptoms for months, I got up the courage to tell my mom that I need help. Then she asked if an ice cream would make me feel better. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 738
You deserved it 5 833

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If someone has an eating disorder..how do you think they'll answer that no matter how thin they actually are?

mn_girl 0

nothanks, I don't know if you'll actually ever read this, but on the offshot that you do.... Stay strong. Eating disorders are an illness (despite what others may think). You did the right thing by going to your mom for support. I'm sorry she didn't support you. I went through the struggles of an eating disorder, too. I struggled with it for 2 years before finally seeking help. Now, 4 years later, I am finally to the point where I am moving on and living life without the eating disorder. Like I said, I don't know if you'll even see this, but if you do.....I saw that you are from Minnesota too. Park Nicolette has an amazing eating disorders treatment center called Melrose Institute. I strongly suggest that you give them a call. I had tried so many things and they were finally able to help me get better and move past my eating disorder. Stay strong, life will get better and you will beat your eating disorder.

Comments

Meh. People react in different ways. I laugh or crack jokes when I'm uncomfortable. Your mom offers ice cream. Doesn't mean she doesn't care.

TheBlueWaffler 0
Rob207 3

its cold its creamy its ice cream!

ZX6Rninja 0

It's funny because your mom is a insensitive bitch

ice cream makes everything better, but get some help

you can't hide being fat. you can, however hide the fact that you never eat, or throw up right after. op obviously thinks she's fat, therefore won't eat anything, and her mom offering an ice cream proves she doesn't understand. that's why its fyl

That makes sense if you are anorexic; if you are bulimic it won't make a difference; if you are fat your mother already knows that and it is not an eating disorder per se.

Bulimics can still be fat. After an initial weight loss, they often either maintain their weight or gain more. It's a vicious cycle. Besides, eating disorders tend to be rooted in control issues, so binging on food without purging, which obviously leads to obesity, can still be an eating disorder. I'm not saying all obese people have an eating disorder, per se, just that it's the motivation that defines what's actually an eating disorder and what's just unhealthy eating habits or a lack of self-discipline.

I quite like your comments, TheIrishJaneDoe.