By fedupson - 09/04/2015 14:03 - United States - Milpitas

Today, I went driving for the first time with my mom. When she wasn't screaming, she gave great advice like, "Stop at the red light" and "Don't crash into cars". I need to drive 50 hours with her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 104
You deserved it 2 652

Same thing different taste

Top comments

19990231 29

To everybody saying that this is stressful for the mom, remember your first time driving. Her mother screaming does not make the stress any better.

It's more stressful for the first time driver than for the passenger who is supposed to be calmly teaching them.

Comments

SauceySarah 30

Most parents are like that when they teach their children how to drive. They start screaming over nothing and being overly dramatic. I remember when my mom took me driving, she would make a show of dramatically gripping the handle at the top of the roof of the car and screaming at everything I did.

DDL08 2

My mom did the same thing...she only just stopped recently. I'm 23 btw and started driving at 15 -_-

I'm 22, started driving at 15, and still refuse to drive my mom anywhere. I love the woman, but my nerves can't handle her nerves. If we go anywhere together, even if we take my vehicle, she's driving.

momac86 17

That's what moms do and that's what the radio is for to drown out the obnoxious background noise

I am so glad that we have to take driving lessons from a professional here in Denmark. Both my mom and dad would have been the worst teachers ever and they would probably have acted just like OPs mom. No way I would have wanted them to teach me.

I remember how stressful this was. When I was 16 and learned to drive, a song came on in the car that happened to be in a racing video game I'd been playing, and my mom yelled at me about it, saying it was "inappropriate" to listen to something from a game because it would "cause me to drive like I do in the game." I'd been obeying the speed limit, and I explained having quiet music in the background helped me focus, but she turned it off anyway. Even worse, she screamed at me for coming to a full stop at a stop sign. That I was really confused about. Just keep your cool, even though I completely understand it's hard. Being angry while driving is what really leads to making bad decisions on the road. Moms will be moms, and try to realize that she's only doing it because she cares about your safety even though she's not expressing it properly. Good luck, OP :)

tantanpanda 26

#77, I can tell you now that telling your mother that won't help at all. No matter how I drove, she'd always freak out. Get my license, and her fear suddenly disappeared. Even though I drove well before and after the test, she'd freak out and yell stop before every red light. Some moms will do this till you get your licence; there's nothing you can do about it.

Why not get a proper instructor with a safer dual-control car? Less stress for all.

All mothers do that, mine did too. It's horrible. I'm sorry OP.

FusionPlacebo 26

I've had to drive my Nana home several times when I had my permit. She always grabbed my arm and tried to turn the steering wheel a different direction. Not what's supposed to happen to a new driving student. Ever.