By fedupson - 09/04/2015 14:03 - United States - Milpitas

Today, I went driving for the first time with my mom. When she wasn't screaming, she gave great advice like, "Stop at the red light" and "Don't crash into cars". I need to drive 50 hours with her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 104
You deserved it 2 652

Same thing different taste

Top comments

19990231 29

To everybody saying that this is stressful for the mom, remember your first time driving. Her mother screaming does not make the stress any better.

It's more stressful for the first time driver than for the passenger who is supposed to be calmly teaching them.

Comments

Looks like we are both in the same boat!

Tell her that her screaming and stuff just adds to the stress.

In Maine, it's 70 hours of logged driving required with your permit before you can go for a road test for your license. I've been at it for 2 years and still need 20 more....

or you can just lie about driving all those hours like everyone else.

CaroAurelia 12

Hopefully as you get more experience under your belt, she'll loosen up. But I feel your pain.

Is it at all possible that you have anyone else in your life to teach you? My mother did nothing but scream at me, so I refuse to let her teach me anymore or get behind the wheel with her next to me.

Jazzalyn 10

When I was learning my dad would sometimes sound agitated when he gave advice or corrected my errors. My mum, on the other hand, was a bit of a nervous nellie at times. She'd worry I was going to side-swipe another car or something. That aside, OP should tell his mum that she needs to remain calm when she's teaching him because it's not good for either of them. And if she can't, as others have said, find someone else to teach him.

Op, when you get home and are not in the car, sit her down and explain calmly and nicely, that you find her too panicked and aggressive when in the car with you, and that the advice she is giving are things you already know and are not helpful. Tell her that in order for you to feel relaxed and calm, you need her to be relaxed and calm. Tell her you know it's probably nerve racking being the passenger of a new driver, but that if she can't instruct you calmly then could she please find someone else who can help who can be calm and less aggressive. I'm sure after she hears you saying this calmly and nicely, she will realize her error and that she is making things worse. Her natural reaction is to be worried and anxious, and she probably doesn't even realize that it's taking over and ruining the lessons. I bet she will be a different person after that talk. Good luck op!

I remember when I learned to drive stick. I was driving with my grandpa in a 1955 chevy truck. He had me doing 40 through a field and suddenly yelled stop 3 times scaring me then yelled at me for not stopping when he said to. That was my first experience behind the wheel of anything