The Hitchhiker

By hitchhiked - 04/01/2012 06:28 - United States

Today, I picked up a hitchhiker. He was well dressed, and seemed trustworthy. As soon as he got in, he pulled out a gun and stole my wallet and car. All of this occurred in front of a sign warning against picking up hitchhikers. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 974
You deserved it 86 108

Same thing different taste

Top comments

crazyj12006 3

Whenever I drive by a hitchhiker, not helping them makes me feel guilty. But at the same time, you never know who they are or what they could do.

Comments

megamandude455 10
InSanityx 7

You shouldn't be so quick to call someone else an idiot. * You're

hateevryone 14

maybe you know now not to do that again.

I'm the biggest sucker when it comes to helping people but I won't even do that. It's a shame that being nice can get you killed but that's the world we live in. Try to find alternative ways of helping. As rude as it sounds call the police next time you see someone stranded and want to help. Their non emergency line can take care of it.

Eh, depends on if they're stranded or if they're hitching. If they look like their car broke down, calling isn't a bad idea. If they've got a pack on their back, they're probably more interested in traveling than getting help :)

RubySoho 3

I'm sorry OP =(. That's a really shitty thing to happen. The rest of you. Seriously. Hitchhiking is and always has been a very common thing. Lots of people hitchhike for various reasons(from hitchhiking between small towns to globetrotting...). Hell, I've hitched from one side of Europe to the other. OP had incredibly bad luck, but saying YDI for picking the guy up? Seriously?!

Briannahoughton 0

People are shit these days. Even hitchhikers. When you see a hitchhiker you ask them if there tired of walking if they say yes then tell them to start running and drive away.

YahImThatGuy 0

I always pick up hitchhikers. I've probably picked up a dozen, some I've driven over 100 miles. Maybe I've been lucky up until this point, but I'd rather be taken advantage of because of my kindness than have my kindness callous over because I put myself first.

NullPointer 20

My dad would always pick up hitchhikers. Some didn't look too respectable, but never had any problems. Once I remember he picked up a girl, around 18 years old and very pretty. I was young at the time and didn't realize how dangerous it was, but looking back on it I'm surprised she'd risk hitchhiking. But a car with a father and his children doesn't seem too dangerous, but if you wait until you can see inside the car to put your thumb up it might be too late.

thiscrazything 1

Good to know there are still some who are not too scared to show kindness. There are risks on every single thing we do. Why spend you life being scared because of a few bad people? I also have not yet had a bad experience giving rides to hitchhikers.

On behalf of hitchers, I'd like to say thank you :) I've hitched all across North America, just for the fun of it, and didn't have issues. It was an awesome trip, and almost entirely because of people like you, who don't let the fear of the unknown keep them from being kind and friendly. Thanks again, and know you're appreciated :D

NullPointer 20

I always make hitchhikers ride in the trunk.

They usually put up those signs around jails!

bubuguzman 0

You should've seen that coming …