By fedupson - 09/04/2015 14:03 - United States - Milpitas

Today, I went driving for the first time with my mom. When she wasn't screaming, she gave great advice like, "Stop at the red light" and "Don't crash into cars". I need to drive 50 hours with her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 102
You deserved it 2 652

Same thing different taste

Top comments

19990231 29

To everybody saying that this is stressful for the mom, remember your first time driving. Her mother screaming does not make the stress any better.

It's more stressful for the first time driver than for the passenger who is supposed to be calmly teaching them.

Comments

I didn't do the 50 hours. Just the the driving lessons that are 2 hours each for 3 times and you'll do fine on the test

I'd hate to be anywhere near you on the road if you think six hours practice makes you ready to hold a license to drive.

It's 120 hours in Australia, and you have to hold your Learners for 12 months if you're under 25, the up to provisional 1 (12 months), then provisional 2 (24 months), and finally a full liscense.

Haha, maybe tell her you play driving games lots? Or that you obviously intend on keeping the car damage free...

I've got this, finally, all of those years of Mario Kart will be useful

Moms know best . She's just looking out for you, and well, her car .

ughhh stop screaming ma I got this! *plays wiz khalifa and boosts nitrox*

karcummings 19

she's just stressed for you!

LittleMissShadow 16

My mom was the same way. Though only for the first week or two.. She'll calm down. Don't fret about it to much. :)

my mum is still this way, 7 years later

And that's why to this day I still don't have my license because I have a father who has similar responses.

How old are you? Do you have a job? Why don't you hire a driving instructor? You cannot blame your fathers reactions. My dad was explosive and angry when he was teaching me. He ripped the handbrake on more than once. I went to an instructor. I have a license. Now, what's your excuse?

countryb_cth 38

@50 you don't have to be rude. Clearly her dad isn't letting her advance and she probably can't afford an instructor. Just because you did doesn't mean everyone can.

Don't worry. It took me a while to get licensed too. My mom's nerves really weren't helping mine, so I hated driving with her. Is there anyone else in your family or maybe an adult friend who could ride with you in place of your dad? I finally got my license when my grandfather stepped in to help. He was a much calmer teacher than either of my parents.

Do Americans only need to drive 50 hours with a supervisor?? We have to do 120 hours minimum

I think we are supposed to but if we don't it isn't a big deal

It varies by state. And some states have very specific requirements. I don't remember the exact numbers since it's been awhile, but Illinois law requires you get a certain number of hours driving at night, a certain number of hours driving on highways and freeways, etc.

Ashd09 30

In Georgia its only 40 hours during the day and 6 at night

That's what Australia has. Queensland it's 10 hours minimum for night, and 100 hours total.

In Canada we don't have to drive a certain number of hours, we just have to have a learner's license for a minimum of 6 months and then be able to pass the driving test. I've always wondered about your system in the States, how do they know you've driven the full number of hours you're supposed to? Is there actually any way to document that accurately?

Where I live (Mississippi), it's measured not by hours but by how long you hold your learner's permit. When I was learning, the law was that you had to hold your permit for six months before you qualify for a driving test. Now the law has changed, so you have to hold your permit a year.

@91 I dunno about America, but in Australia they give you a log book, you fill it out as you drive. drove from destination a to destination b, it took 2 hours, conditions were fair and it was day time. something to that effect

What really concerns me is that her mom is her driving instructor. There are professional people who can really teach you to drive, right?

Did she push on her imaginary gas and brake and brace herself against the dashboard as well?