By dinosawerr - 05/05/2009 12:42 - United States

Today, I was riding my bike with my parents. They make me wear a helmet when I'm with them. Some college age kids drove past and yelled, "Nice helmet!" My mother then told me, "They like you!" I'm sixteen and my helmet is blue. With flowers. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 648
You deserved it 9 040

Same thing different taste

Top comments

mintfreshpinesol 0

At least you are being safe... I had a friend die because he wasn't wearing a helmet. your parents are smart.

As much as I personally would like a blue helmet with flowers, I understand. I'm a college kid, and I'm willing to risk brain injury than be seen using a helmet on campus.

Comments

Also, ENOUGH WITH THE PREACHY HELMET SPEECHES. I never wear a helmet when I ride my bike (usually because I can bike anywhere I need to within five minutes), even on busy roads. I don't even own a helmet. Have you considered that maybe this person lives in an area with sidewalks, or in the suburbs? And yes, I've flipped over my handlebars and had the bike go tumbling before. Multiple times. I've never hit my head (although I did drop the cell phone that caused me to fall once). You people are all overreacting, and probably making up all your "I know a guy who died because he didn't wear a helmet" stories. No matter what you say, people are going to wear them or not. I choose not to because I've never been in or heard of a legitimate reason to wear one given my location in quiet suburbia. Get over yourselves.

ditlihi 0

Yeah. Just get a cool looking helmet. Look at what Lance wears.

mj2123 0

#31 - I don't care if you're Dutch, American, Chinese, whatever. Not wearing a helmet is stupid. Yes, you are lucky that you haven't sustained serious head trauma from an accident. It's great you haven't, but I have friend who is a physical therapist and has worked with people who have sustained brain damage from bike accidents. It's nothing to joke about. #44 - It's Merriam-Webster. Not Miriam. Though admittedly, my name gets spelled wrong all the time, and that's one of the more common misspellings. And who cares what other people think? When you're older, you'll probably get over being so concerned with it. Or buy a new helmet. Whichever.

Safety should come first, your mom is just looking out after you because she cares.

sondramcfail 0

"I'd rather risk the brain injury" That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard, and not surprising considering the source. FML needs to separate different age groups, because I am tired of reading FML's that make me want to vomit.

I agree with basically everyone else here. Here's what this situation looks like to me: 1- wear the helmet- yeah, maybe you'll get laughed at and get a few comments, but that's it 2- don't wear it- possibly get in an accident, and your situation will be much worse than if you had just worn the helmet I can see if you are in a VERY safe area w/o many cars, but even then, it's really worth it to just put on the helmet. Also, your mom seems pretty hilarious to me.

elara15 0

There are plenty of "cool" looking helmets out there. Like the kind competitive cyclers use. I know where you're coming from, sort of -- like one of the other replies, I was pushed off the road by a car and hit a tree that severely cracked my helmet. While I saved up for a nicer looking one, I wore my old helmet with cartoon dinosaurs. But still. I know it's a matter of free will, but you have to take another look at a society that values appearance over health, that would rather look subjectively "cool" than prevent blunt trauma to the head.

OK your mom is a ****** wierdo!! tell her that you are not 6 years old! and if she still makes you do that, shove your used pad in her face and scream "SEE BITCH!?! I AM OLD ENOUGH TO HAVE MY FRICKEN PERIOD, SO I AM OLD ENOUGH TO RIDE A BIKE WITHOUT WERAING A ******* HELMET!!!!!"

DeeJayD 0

People don't seem to realise that #1's comment was probably sarcasm because the OP implied they usually don't wear a helmet when they're not with their parents because it's not 'cool'. Because having your brains splattered across the road, or permanent brain damage is so in right now.