By sadinseattle - 22/07/2009 17:13 - United States

Today, I was driving on the freeway when I get a call from my friend explaining that our two best friends died in a car accident. I pulled over in hysterics and a cop came to see what was wrong. I explained what happened and he gave me a ticket for talking on the phone while driving. FML
I agree, your life sucks 110 324
You deserved it 17 530

Same thing different taste

Top comments

thats terrible =[ im so sorry for your losses

Whoa_YouSuckk 0

aww, i'm so sorry :( thats so messed up

Comments

DUDE! What the hell? What if you were using a headset? Those are still legal! Geez..cops will jump at any chance to give people tickets. If it wasn't the phone, he would have probably given you one for pulling over for 'no reason' or some shit.

gorguz14evar 0

Having several cops in the family, I can say with some authority that the cop who pulled you over is NOT a good cop. That's terrible, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Chaith 16

Sorry to hear that. No cop around where I live would do any of the above.

yeahh i'm guessing he didn't believe you. people always break that phone law.

Twidragon1000 0

Sorry for your losses The cop is a dick, everyone who agrees with me can comment under here.

cucumberfabulous 7

I agree! He's a major dick..

I'm really sorry for you losses. Goodluck and be strong.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Go suck a fat one mobius8; of course she didnt deserve it if she pulled over. There is no reason to get a ticket. So many cops here are heartless power hungry dirtbags like the LAPD. There are some cops that do their job right but so many of them are like this. OP I'm very sorry for what happened to your friends. They're in a better place now.

If she had pulled over before answering, no. She didn't. She answered, talked on the phone while she was informed of the news, became hysterical and pulled off the road(quite probably dangerously if she was hysterical) because she was crying. She deserved the ticket.

shadowoftheday_fml 0

#45 is hilarous. It depends on what state you live in.

Bullshit 45. As of the 1st of July last year, you can get fined for talking on the phone. And just going to point out here that it's a $20 fine.... Her friends just died and the fact she got a $20 ticket for putting others on the road around her in danger(remember, she was driving while hysterical) is the FML...

mike2012 0

Mobius are you ******* retarded!!!! the OP answered the phone while driving then got the horrible news and then went into histarics you ******* mindless inbred retard! go die in a ******* hole!!!! and OP im so sorry to hear bout ur loss. and im also sorry bout that retarded cop

Yes, she answered her phone while driving. It's illegal. For a reason. It endangers others on the road, especially if you get news that is going to make you hysterical. She could have been the cause of another two road deaths. And as I pointed out above, it's only a $20 fine. Her best friends just died. I can't believe anyone with much of a heart would feel the need to comment on a $20 ticket after news like that, especially when they died in a road accident.

SchitzoFRIENDic 0

Hey, Mobius8! This just in: why don't you and the ******** cop go **** yourselves together while driving on the highway? Then, when you get a call about your best friends dying, he can ticket you for both indecent exposure AND talking on the phone while driving! Doesn't THAT sound like a fun day for you?! Seriously. I hope karma ***** you over REALLY bad one day. OP I hope better days find their way to you ;)

That's not really karma. Here's a slightly better example, that actually could and does happen, unlike your ridiculous childlike rant. Let's say she didn't get a ticket, and next time her phone rang while she was driving it, she answered it again. This time she's gotten news her parents have died. She's in four lanes of traffic of fast moving traffic and can't pull straight over, and is understandably hysterical. You and your family are in a car coming in the opposite direction and she swerves into you, causing a head on accident, involving both your cars and many other. Your family dies while rescue workers try to pull you out and you're left paralyzed from the neck down for life. It's only a $20 ticket, and it's given for a reason. Get over it.

mobius made a sort of decent point though...how much more horrible would the situation have been if not only her friends died, but also other innocent people on the road? It's also a little suspect that the FML reads: Today, my friends died. But I got a ticket, can you f*cking believe it? FML But hell, the situation DOES suck. I didn't put YDI because nobody deserves to experience a tragic situation like that, and I agree that the ticket didn't help matters any. I just wish people would realize the seriousness of how dangerous it is to talk on the phone while driving.

dcstream 0

I'm agreeing with Mobius here. When my mom died, I didn't get a free pass to speed or run stop signs.

The point of the FML seemed to be the ticket, not her friends death. She deserved the ticket, so that makes it a YDI imo. I didn't mean it as YDI for your friends to die.

actually #52, seeing as her name is sadinseattle, in washington talking on the phone while driving is only a secondary offense. she can't get pulled over for talking on the phone unless she is breaking a primary traffick law first.

But the FML said it took place in California. Mobius is correct about California law and, to be honest, everything else he said, too.

there's also a seattle in california...

I totally agree with Mobius8. In no way should you get a "Free Ticket". You were on the phone while driving, and that's breaking the law. I'm sorry to hear about your friends, but if you're going to answer a call, get a bluetooth, or pull over THEN answer.

Polionixon 2

It's serious if u fail at it. It's really not that hard to drive on the phone and talk as long as you pay attention to the road. Then again it takes 1 person to ruin shit :( Oh the texting thing too i can easily look at the road and text at the same time only a retarded teenager would get in an accident doing that. hahahahahha no seriously tho am i right?

No 130, you're not right. There are plenty of times you need both hands to drive, especially if you drive a manual. As far as texting goes, you can not focus on both the road ahead of you and the screen. It is physically impossible for your eyes to do. You can focus on your screen, but then you only have a peripheral vision of the road, which is not good enough for driving safely. And as the OP has demonstrated, if you get a call while driving you might be getting shocking news which you wouldn't suddenly get from a passenger you were talking to. Obviously, this law was put in place because of the large number of accidents that DO happen from this. I've been in an accident where my friend was driving and texting in town, and even though we were in slow moving traffic, it only took a second for her to glance at her screen an not notice the car in front of her had to stop suddenly, and she messed up her car pretty badly.

I sorta agree with Mobius on the very technical level. The OP answered the phone (I'm guessing a handheld) FIRST, heard the news, and then pulled over. In California, that is against the law. If the phone call was about something else, the OP would have still been driving and talking on the phone (presumably without a Bluetooth, headset, etc.) So, the OP deserves the ticket, but NOBODY deserves to hear that their friends have passed. Sorry, OP =(

ihatestupidppl 0

OK, I totally agree that the cop was a heartless POS for giving her a ticket (cops *do* have authority to let you off with a warning). BUT Mobius8 is making a decent point. I just bought a new cellphone and the box it came in included a whole pamphlet about Responsible Driving. It says "For your well being and the well being of those around you, you should consider turning your phone off and allowing calls to go to Voice Mail while you are driving." That kind of advice is included ESPECIALLY for situations like these. Had the OP not picked up her phone, she would not have gotten the horrible news while she was driving and would not have become hysterical while on the road. Being in that bad of an emotional state impairs whatever you do while driving, INCLUDING "just" pulling over, so OP is lucky she didn't hu rt herself or anyone else. But OP, I am very very sorry for your loss.

she was in "hysterics" AFTER she found out her friends died

tell that to the guy who rear-ended me three days ago because he was on his phone. he was in his 30's and did not look at all 'retarded'.

sorry if this comment shows up twice, i'm not sure if it's just FML lagging... but as i said in response to #130, tell that to the guy who rear-ended me three days ago because he was on his phone. also, he was in his thirties, and did not look at all 'retarded'.

ur2nvthis85 3

I understand everyone's argument but the fact is it sucks to lose two friends and have a person of authority put added stress on you in a time of hysteria...I don't think the cop was right but it's one of those things where you have to think of it as a donation to the county and take the time to grieve for your losses of people close to you and hey you can grieve over the $20 too but hang in there because tomorrow's a better day and all people aren't as insensitive :)

oh please, like you've never answered the phone while driving. heartless dickk

kellybri 0

Oh, my God, I can't believe a cop would do that... oh, wait, I can. They're all dicks with nothing better to do than hide behind trees and give people tickets. I'm so sorry about your friends :(

ihatestupidppl 0

Yeah, every single police officer in the entire country is a heartless bastard. It's actually a requirement when you take the entrance exam. If you have a heart, you don't get hired. As the niece of an outstanding police officer (who almost gave his LIFE for the job), I implore you: Give me a break.

M13LO 0

fyl that cop was an asshole you even pulled over to talk

dammmiiittt 0

Oh my god... I'm so sorry for your losses. It's horrible that the cop added to that tragedy. Deserves a good slap to the face or two... or ten...