By Anonymous - 30/12/2013 17:20 - United States

Today, I tried to prove to my girlfriend how much I've matured and that our relationship comes before anything else in my life. So I went to delete my character in World of Warcraft. I tried to confirm it, but I couldn't, breaking down in tears instead. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 350
You deserved it 31 426

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's always a hard life for us video gamers. I empathize OP.

**** that! You shouldn't have to delete anything you don't want to man! If she can't accept that you play WOW or any other video game, she doesn't love you for who you are. Live your life how you want to! Not how she thinks it should be lived

Comments

Some people don't get this, but it's not *just* a game. Think about how we value things. One of those ways is time. Time is a finite resource, and we spend it on things every day (you spend time working, you spend time sleeping, you spend time watching T.V.). It has value. Anything you spend time on therefore has value. Some people paint. Some people sculpt. Some people play videogames. And the time invested in those things means the product on which the time was spent is valuable, at least to the person spending the time. People spend weeks, months, or even years on their characters. That's a huge investment, and to throw it all away because it's "just a game"? No. Hell ******* no. Time is a resource, and spending weeks, months or even years on *anything* makes it valuable, regardless of what it is. Paintings, model trains, sculptures, novels, whatever. It's all valuable because of the time people spent to make it, and videogames are no different.

It's alright OP It was hard to delete my file of pokemon heartgold with all three starters and legendaries.

I totally feel you, that game is way too addicting(: She'll forgive you(:

Just cancel your membership and uninstall it. No need to delete hours of hard work.

Many people devote a large portion of their lives to their hobbies. Hobbies like WoW are especially addicting. Players put a lot of hard work into these characters, but their significant others just expect them to be able to drop the game at any moment simply because they say. It would be like creating a masterpiece work of art and spending years of your life to finish it, only to have someone come along and tear it into pieces.

You shouldn't have to delete it, honestly, she should just be more understanding of your hobbies and interests. I don't expect my boyfriend to delete his characters, I join him. You should find someone who respects your interests more.

Just calm down, and put the TV remote back, sodomy is not the answer here..

First, I think it's sad that most of the comments faulting the OP for liking a video game so much have been given a "thumbs down". A video game should not rule a person's life, and crying over deleting a character shows there are some underlying issues. Secondly, I think it's obvious from the post that WoW caused problems between the OP and his girlfriend, issues that he probably recognized and wanted to resolve. He probably chose it over spending time with her, although that's just an assumption. While she may not be his "wife", she should still be important enough to him that it wouldn't be causing issues. There are other ways of resolving issues and proving maturity while still holding into your hobbies. Everything in moderation.

Axel5238 29

It's possible the gf was being unreasonable, but it seems like there might be more to it and it seems like there is. If OP was ignoring responsibilities in the relationship/around the house ect... because they couldn't pull themselves away from WOW and it was happening fairly regularly that is a problem. It sucks to get rid of something you enjoyed, but the OP breaking down makes it sound kinda unhealthy to get that emotionally invested in a game. I play videos game a a decent amount, but still have work,school, my gf, my place and my cat to look after. I know If I started ignoring those things because of a game yeah it's pretty good chance my gf would take issue and for good reason.

1st most of the people on here are right, you have to find someone can except you for who you are; if who you are is a gamer be a gamer. 2nd hearing about a guy cry over a video game is as sad as hearing about a lady cry over a romance novel. ( just kidding... Kind of)