By Anonymous - 15/10/2012 04:07 - United States - Aurora

Today, I told my daughter that she won't be going to her homecoming dance as punishment for her terrible grades. She's been crying and singing "If I Die Young" in her room for hours. At this point, I don't know if I need to call a therapist or a vocal coach. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 542
You deserved it 10 167

Same thing different taste

Top comments

jay2121 3

What about a tutor instead of both?

She may be giving you a hard time now, but I honestly believe that if you stick it out and teach her that her actions have consequences, she will appreciate it so much more when she is an adult and be better of for it.

Comments

Mr_Mole 24

Now that's what you call parenting. Stick to your guns. If you warned her that this was the outcome of continued poor grades, then you're doing the right thing. Kids need to learn that there are consequences to their actions, not just idle threats.

Supernovas_Child 13

I really don't get what all these people are whining about, talking about homecoming. I went to two of mine, and they sucked. The second one I went to, I was actually pressured into. In fact, I would have gladly welcomed my mother forbidding me to go to that one.

The key here, is to not let this reach a crescendo: act natural, stay composed, and you'll be sure to reach an a-chord with her. Remind her that she's just A Minor and that you're the dominant one around here.

Bravo, 36! OP, remind your daughter that even though she's in treble, at least she's not under a rest somewhere. Don't be too sharp with her, either, but gently point out Mozart forms don't involve dramatic screeching the way she is. Hoping your problems resolve-owo

SeepingSarcasm 7

So you have an dumb, emotional daughter without any vocal talent? Hope she is pretty or really good at acting, otherwise she might be ****** in the future.

iloveweed69 7

Not everyone understands algebra, biology and etc. Ydi

That's the point of having a tutor or staying after school to get help from the teacher.

But everyone can work hard and ask for help.

Yeah well they need to if they want to do something better than manual labor for $6 an hour, that's no excuse for doing badly in school

Perhaps, but nearly everybody CAN understand it if they are willing to work hard at it.

omg ur so meaaan u cant doo tht!!!11!!oneee!!!!thts da must important thing in er liveee!!!!111!! No.That's just a stupid dance.It's not like you told her she can't eat for a month or whatever:you forbid her from going to a party. She'll be fine soon and probably she'll forget everything about it as soon as a new scoop about Justin Bieber/One Direction/Twilight 'actors' is out. Just stick to it and don't let her and the commenters saying YDI make you feel guilty,if she has such bad grades you have every right to punish her however you want(of course,abuse is not included in the 'however you want'.But a missed homecoming dance isn't abuse.). And,before someone tells me "Yeah,it's just a stupid dance to you,but it's important for a teenager",I'm a teenager myself.I never go to those parties because I don't want to,but it looks like I'm still alive and I don't have some bad illness caused by it. Forgive the long post.

My mom wouldn't let me eat for a day when I got a bad grade in high school. That sucked. I would cry for food not for a dance.

estes816 9

If your 66 you should know how to spell disease.

Teenagers these days seriously don't know the value of good grades. Especially in high school.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
yoursucklives 36

When did it ever say that OP didn't try to help his or her daughter to study and improve her grades?

Why? because I actually make sense? Everyone is always on the parents side but maybe if they helped their kids with the schoolwork and actually made sure they're doing it then they might actually get good grades or hire a tutor if you haven't got the time yourself or better yet instead of punishing your daughter for getting shitty grades maybe make a reward system where if the daughter does good in school and gets better grades she gets rewarded for it with new clothes or money or movies or extended curfew time shit like that. I'm telling ya it would motivate her to actually do it a lot more than just saying that's it you got bad grades you're grounded now because all that will do is make your daughter pissed at you.

I love how you ignored my question. I also love your lack of punctuation and grammatical skills. The never-ending sentences really lead me to believe that you are taking out some of your own unresolved feelings on OP. Before you try making a point about education, try to be a little educated yourself, dear. Also, good grades are a reward in themselves. I don't know how you were raised, but I got a "Way to go!" for my good grades and I also was punished for bad ones. (I am thankful for it!) Bribery should not be used to promote a proper education.

@102 I did actually reply to you, if you scroll down you'll see a comment by me saying "where did they say it did?" I will give you the fact I forgot to put full stops or commas. Since I was typing this out and reading it in my head though I didn't need to take breathes and made a mistake. Thanks for pointing that one minor thing out though it just proves how smart you truly are. Yes it is bribery but it's not exactly bad bribery. I will admit this is something more parents use on younger kids to get them to behave better in school, but I had friends in high school who got rewarded when they got good grades and so they kept getting good grades. Good grades can be a reward unto themselves if you know you're actually someone who gets good grades often, but in this case OPs daughter clearly doesn't care and won't care if you keep punishing her, so maybe trying something different could work. Now if OPs daughter still gets bad grades well then maybe it is time to get the kid therapy and find out why she is doing so bad in school. Now I hope you actually get to see this message so you don't think I'm ignoring you because I think you're right. :)

I very much appreciate you taking your time to deal with my comment in an appropriate way. I admit that I overreacted. I completely understand the whole forgetting to punctuate in a rage. It happens to the best of us. I believe that a child's education is much more important than a silly dance, you know? And yes, I see that OP may be a neglectful parent for all either of us know. I was just taken aback at your harsh attack toward them. By the FML, am I led to believe that perhaps OP does try. Any good parent would give warnings, help with school work, set goals with their child and so on... And in this day, sadly, there is a lack of good parents. So it is understandable to see your view. But, you can also see why I was so ready to believe that OP was a good mother/father. And yes, I overlooked your reply to me. The lack of punctuation made my eyes a bit too ready to read fast. Haha

oceanbeauty 17

As a reward for good grades her daughter gets to go to homecoming. Sound fair enough?

@116 Thank you for your polite reply it is very mature of you. I get where you are coming from. Also parents always seem to forget they were once teenagers and how social events like this felt like the most important thing ever, because well it sorta is for a teenager they just want to hang out with friends and have good times. I know education is important I just think the better way to deal with bad grades is to try and reward them for doing good rather than punish them for doing bad. You should punish the daughter for things like bullying someone or smoking things like that. The OP probs does try just a lot of parents don't they just expect their kids to do all this work because they have the internet now and can just google it. Also a lot of parents don't know their kid is doing bad till they see all the bad grades that's why you gotta be like hey how's school going, do you need help with ya homework, what are ya working on in school right now, stuff like that. That's why if you just punish your kid for doing bad they're just going to hide everything from you because they'll want to put off being punished for as long as possible, whereas if you reward them for doing good they might be more inclined to be like oh hey mum/dad I need some help with this or I'm having trouble here. I mean you can't reward them forever but it's a good way to start to get your kid to improve their grades when they have bad ones. Also @oceanbeauty yeah that would be a good first start.

countrygirl626 16

You also do realize that maybe the parents don't understand her coursework? I'm in honors and AP classes, and my parents don't understand the shit I do in class so they can't help me. There just may be other reasons as to why parents might not work with their children.

Obviously good grades should be rewarded and parents should help out their kids, but highschool is a time when you have to figure out how to study on our own so we can survive college. Yes the parent should keep her in check, but as a highschool student this girl needs to learn to study and keep herself on track. I'm a sophomore and my mom doesn't need to constantly be in my business because I can see what I need to fix. If I need a tutor I'll tell my mom. This isn't all the parents fault. It's common sense that bad grades should have consequences.