Got talent?

By Anonymous - 21/09/2013 20:56 - United States - Collingswood

Today, I told my mom that I want to try out for a singing competition on TV, so I might be able to kick off my musical career. She convinced me to sing a song for her, so I did. Mid-way through, she lost it, burst into laughter, and told me to stay in school. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 949
You deserved it 12 208

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Better at home with mom rather than on national television or in front of a crowd, and that's what family's for.

Comments

Mother knows best, listen to your mother, it's a scary world out there. Mother knows best, one way or another, something will go wrong I swear. Mother's right here, Mother will protect you. Darling's here's what I suggest: Skip the drama, stay with Mama. 'Cause Motheeeeer, knows best.

Good thing not everyone has a mother like op! What if every bad singer out there were to be brought down on earth again. Then the talent shows would've had no clowns to laugh at in front of the world and only potential artists... What a boring show!

Anyb0dyTh 8

Just realize, to be successful, it's going to be a thousand times harder than you thought. You'll need to take vocal lessons, and put at least 5 years of full time practice into it. 5 years is about the magic number to become world class at anything.

5 years? I should be a world lacrosse player by now then...

Please go to XFactor. I only watch it cuz of Simon

If it's only five years, then I should already have been on Broadway or Hollywood since I was about ten. Keep working at it OP. I've got 17 years of voice and dance experience and I guess sometimes it takes longer.

Anyb0dyTh 8

Did you have a world class trainer, and play at least 8 hours a day? :D Seriously though, the Beatle's played about 5 years in Germany before they overwhelmed the USA. I read an interesting article about the amount of time it takes to become world class at anything. . Cheers :D

Indeed! I wish OP would post a link to them singing on YouTube or something, I'd like to hear myself.

While it's true that it's one opinion, how many people trying out for these shows say that sane statement when the judges tell them they aren't as good as they think they are. If someone really wants to pursue it, they should listen to some of these opinions and get voice training.

Why is 2 getting thumbed down? His comment makes perfect sense in which that is only one opinion. Because for one thing, I don't always go with that "mom's knows best" bullshit all the time.

.....unless OP is THAT horrible. Forgot to add that in there.

Maybe it time for a few more practices in the trusty old shower!

theres always going to be people who wont take you seriously, but you just have to rise above that

It's different when it's family, it's a lot harder to overcome

Except OP is probably bad at singing, I'd rather have a serious opinion from my mother than a bias made up one ending up in me embarrassing myself on television.

Wizardo 33

Lessons and then go for the competitions. No point in giving up... ever.

Or you could auto tune your voice to oblivion like %90 of the music industry nowadays.

OP don't let anybody discourage you. Try out for the competition and good luck :)

If OP is so bad at singing that her own mother couldn't help but laugh at her and couldn't find anything to compliment, I'd say pursuing a singing career is a bad idea...

Better at home with mom rather than on national television or in front of a crowd, and that's what family's for.

More parents need to be honest with their children. Not everyone is as talented as they think.

Although your mum didn't have to let you down in such a way, I agree that it's always better to get the honest truth from your mother or someone really close to you, rather than being put down and humiliated at the competition. Especially if there's an audience involved.

Stay in school! Then try for a singing career.

jw90 18

Aren't moms supposed to tell you you sound great no matter what?

And that's exactly what everyone told those people who failed miserably at these TV singing competitions and who became the laughing stock of the nation.

Life's going to surprise you in unpleasant ways if even your mother can't tell you the truth anymore.

A mother is supposed to tell you, "Hey honey, you're great but not a good singer/writer/dancer."

Jw90 - No. The proper response was NOT laughing, nor was it to lie and say the singing was great. The best response for a supportive parent would have been, "I love you very much and there are lots of things that you are great at. Singing just isn't one of them."

Never give up..unless ur mom says to..moms are right about 99.9% of the time lol