By Unloved. - 15/09/2009 10:09 - New Zealand

Today, I had dinner with my family in celebration of my 19th Birthday. I've been hinting that I need a new laptop for months now and I was sure my family had bought me one. I have got a pair of slipper socks. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 052
You deserved it 9 731

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well slipper socks ARE awesome. Fact is you are nineteen, expecting expensive birthday presents from your parents and being a little brat when you don't get one is very immature. You're an adult, go buy one yourself.

Comments

youthink_fml 0

You're 19. Get a job, get your own laptop, and stop thinking that people owe you big presents just because you want them.

Should we ignore the word "have"? It sounds like you already had the socks before your birthday and you felt like throwing in some arbitrary bit of info. I used to have a cat.

What's laptop compared to slipper socks? You should be thankful that they actually got you something.

They probably bought you dinner on your birthday. At least they did that. Anything else is icing on the (birthday) cake.

You don't "hint" for something that expensive and important. If your entire family thinks that slipper socks are a good birthday present, I can only imagine what kind of laptop they would purchase in your absence. You're fortunate that you didn't end up with a calculator duct-taped to a pillow.

Intellectualist 0

That's not the point. The fact that she is bitching that she did get a gift in the end, even if it wasnt a laptop. Maybe her parents can't afford much more than slipper socks and dinner? She should be grateful, even if she did get slipper socks, however different they are to a laptop. =/

It seems to me that at age 19, you should know whether your family has a "slipper socks" budget or a "new laptop" budget for birthday gifts. You've seen what they've done 18 times already. My daughter wanted a new laptop for her birthday, so we got the grandparents to chip in and I took my daughter down to the store to check out the exact one she wanted. No hinting, no surprises. For her birthday surprise, I got her a pen.

Intellectualist 0

In such economical times, things may well have changed a little though. She shouldn't be so expectant of her parents at the age of 19. It's ridiculous.

#65, it's plexico that doesn't get it, not latch.

Thanks, organisedchaos (notice I respected the British spelling without going all batshit crazy about it), I'm pondering whether explaining my point fully will be more entertaining for you than it will be maddeningly frustrating for me. I think it might make me bust a gasket.

I say explain it, Latch is a woman..typical I guess for it not to understand.

This thread has attracted some real idiots. Sexism? Really? Do you have to turn everything into a battle of the sexes? Please go skydive without a parachute. PS. Your grammar fails, so you shouldn't be talking about someone else "not understanding" when you can't comprehend simple sentence structure.

Just to be an ass I'm going to correct you, it's "P.S:", thank-you kind, gentle sir for randomly exploiting my incorrect grammar on a three sentence, online blurb. Additionally, where is your comma after "not understanding",

wel it didn't put my whole comment so im quickly typing this so it sends cause i havez no times !!!

K just ignore everything I've mentioned before this.

Intellectualist 0

Mr. Plexico, are you being sarcastic? Otherwise, I don't see what there is not to get.

TheHeroOfTime: Why thank you so much. I question the truth in the "when," versus "when" argument, but whatever. My point is this: You're a turd. Comma or no comma, you still sound like the biggest loser here due to the content of your original comment. P.S. You're wrong about this part as much as I am. "Postscript. If your letter contains a postscript, begin it with P.S. and end it with your initials. Skip a line after the signature line to begin the postscript." So there you have it. We can go on correcting each other's grammar all day.

darkblue_13 0

laptops are really expensive though and most families can't afford that. That would be a HUGE birthday present. also, if you are 19, I think you should at least contribute half or something

Intellectualist 0

Did you seriously expect sympathy OP?

visage 0

Ok... they're not obligated to get you anything. Dell.com... pay for it yourself. By my crapulations you're one year beyond the "mommy and daddy need to buy me everything" stage.

Don't EVER buy a Dell. They're the biggest pieces of shit ever... I should know. I had to replace the hard drive AND power supply a year and a half after buying the damn thing. And I'm pretty much going to echo what everyone else has been saying... don't ******* HINT if you want something, straight up ASK. I didn't expect a laptop for a graduation gift when I left for college 4 years ago, but I got one. It wasn't specifically what I wanted, but I was grateful none the less. How about you just be ******* happy your family remembered it was your birthday?

I've had this Dell laptop for 5 years and it runs as fast as it did during my 2nd year of owning it... Dell rules.

God, just wait for christmas and ask Santa Clause. I hate birthday whiners.

skyeyez9 24

please don't end up like an aquaintence I know: 27yrs old, living in his parents basement and still a virgin. Live independently cause relying on mom and dad is a crutch. I moved out 3 months after I turned 18 and don't regret it a bit.