By Huedadaa - 19/10/2013 00:05 - France - Cauffry

Today, I asked my students to buy a copy of Anne Frank's diary for an assignment. One of them asked me in all seriousness who wrote it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 199
You deserved it 5 028

Same thing different taste

Top comments

And they say there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Comments

Everyone is trying to figure out what grade she teaches. So why is no one questioning that she wants them to buy the book? I personally assume that means they're in college, but if not, they shouldn't be buying a book for their class.

The high school I went to made us by all of our books. Most non profit schools(most are privet schools) make you buy them because the school does not have the budget for it and I went to a very nice privet school too.

LilFlutter 10

Why should a student not have to buy the book they need for class? When I was in school, we read tons of books and had assignments and tests on them, so everyone needed to own a copy of each book.

Because books are expensive so to have to buy one might put some students in a bad position that's what libraries are for

It's standard here (Australia) for students to buy their own copies (or at least, it was when I was in schoool). Why shouldn't they - especially considering how many kids damage (by accident or on purpose) books and other equipment? Buying their own copies also makes it much more likely that they will have a current version - and yes, there are multiple versions of Anne Frank's diary. I have two different ones, myself. Some have been put out as anniversary editions, or they're reprints when all existing copies sold out, or new discoveries had been made since their original publication - while another that I have is a critical edition that includes all versions of the manuscript - that is, Anne's original, her own edited version, plus the version that her father, Otto, edited before the first publication. (He did this as he didn't want to embarrass anyone who was named, especially since there were survivors among her schoolfriends, for example.) Besides, I still have my books from when I was in school. Some I simply enjoyed, while others I have used for reference and also for tutoring others. They were well worth the purchase.

Huh, and I thought it waa written my Hellen Keller, I must be dumb as hell.

Yes its a stupid question, however you shouldn't have fml it. This is why students are scared to ask questions because they think everyone will laugh at them even though everyone is thinking the same thing.

Axel5238 29

I'd agree, but if Ann Frank is reading material we have to assume that the history courses they've had at least covered WW2 and some of the things that happened. It's frightening how few people are aware of history in the younger generation.

Its pathetic people not agreeing because i did say thats a stupid question to ask if they had been listening maybe they wouldn't have asked. but for a teacher to laugh about it and fml it? Shame on them!! Absolutely disgusting. A teacher is there for a passion of teaching. just because someone in class is not that smart and they are actually trying to understand by asking a question!!! doesn't mean you should laugh behind their back or post it on here. Have manners, be adult and act like a professional. What has this world come to?

Sweetheart, you're overreacting. Teachers are human beings and I feel like I need to point out that, despite popular belief, they do not morph into the school walls once the shool day is finished and then reappear the next morning. Teachers have just as much right as the next guy to laugh at something stupid. I'm a passionate historian but that doesn't mean I don't laugh at certain figures throughout history who have done some pretty silly things - emperor Caligula for one dubbed his horse chief of staff. The world is not going to fall apart just because teachers start sharing their work stories.

You can have your opinion. no the world wont fall apart, i didn't say it will. At the end of the day, thats why students are scared to ask anything because they think its stupid and they will get laughed at. I certainly am NOT over reacting. I have a masters degree and from experience i know how it feels and having all of my classmates telling me too. Yes there human but they shouldn't take the piss out of students. I do not tell anyone about my clients even though some maybe hilariously funny.

do schools over there not provide the material for classes and assignments?

Waste of money? It's important reading, developing a greater understanding of the victims of war. Are empathy and tolerance valueless to you?

Who the heck make their class go out and buy a book per student. The school should have supply a classroom set.

fksfsdhfsdfh 26

Well, Frankly, I think Ann wrote it.

MikaykayUnicorn 36

I thought your comment was funny.

saraitkddh 47

don't worry OP, I graduate this year from university and my class mates said they never even heard about her. what is even more sad about it and ironic is that I am majoring in literature -_-

I hate when a prof ask us to buy a book for an assignment! I hate assignments. And that student question is valid. Not everyone know who she is. Plus not all diaries are written by .. you know. I hate teachers who make fun of their students. Don't you know their represent you. Plus how to ask them to write a book without a proper talk about the author. I think I am hungry. Snickers bar any one?

I think you need to learn how to write correctly, because you're not representing your past teachers very well.

Ok! Thank you. *sign up for an English language class*