By Huedadaa - 19/10/2013 00:05 - France - Cauffry

Today, I asked my students to buy a copy of Anne Frank's diary for an assignment. One of them asked me in all seriousness who wrote it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 199
You deserved it 5 028

Same thing different taste

Top comments

And they say there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Comments

If they are too young ever to have heard of it before, then they should be forgiven for thinking that it might be a work of fiction. "Bridget Jones' Diary" was written by Helen Fielding.

Columbus probably snatched it from Anne Frank, then claimed it as his.

It's not that bad if they aren't familiar with who Anne Frank is. After all Bridget Jones didn't write Bridget Jones Diary.

She may have thought it was a biography instead if an autobiography. Who knows.

its appaling! during our first year we were assigned the tempest. This fresher actually asked the lecturer(who was also the head of department) who the author was!:|

Until I googled it I didn't know who wrote it either so.. y'know. At least Anne Franks' Diary is pretty self explanatory, ask a random person on the street who wrote 'The Tempest', chances are they won't know. But in all fairness a lot of Diaries aren't written by the person in the title; Adrian Mole and Bridget Jones for example. Books can also be biographies so aren't necessarily written by that particular person. Even though I've never read it myself I would've thought they would know about Anne Frank just by going through school.

I was an English major in college for 3 years and took a TON of English and literature courses (at least 2 per semester). I have never once heard of "The Tempest" from any professor. I love Shakespeare and I hadn't even heard of this play till I stumbled across it on my own. I wrote my senior thesis for advanced placement in college English on "Macbeth" and that wasn't even one of the options. (By the way I attained my placement) You aren't making a point, you are just saying that it is appalling that there are people in the world who have not heard of a set of books yet they are in their freshman year? Guess what, that is why they are attending school, to learn that which they have yet to learn. I was an advanced student and I had yet to even hear about it and I would read Shakespeare for fun. Also, this may come as a surprise, but not all teachers or curriculum teach Shakespeare. I had a teacher that basically said, "Since I don't like his plays we are going to watch a movie of 'Hamlet' and then you will take a 5 question test, as I am required to at least go over 'Hamlet' this year at some point." As for #161, I haven't a clue why you got down-voted since you were just pointing out a possibility, so I am voting you back up again because you are absolutely correct. Probably some idiot that thinks all biographies must be written by the person they are about, turns out, most were not written by said person in fact. "Anne Frank" was a rare gem that made it through unharmed somehow, to the great benefit of those of us that have read her biography.

For an English major in - 'ahem hem' - advanced standing (raise pinky finger here), your writing has very poor readability and clarity. Further, I just gave 161 a thumbs down JUST to offset your righteous sense of social justice. Oh and a pat on the back for finding Shakespeare, way to overcome all those academic hurdles that is a crap teacher. "Clap.....clap...clap."

mjnelson 7

To be totally fair, it could be possible that it is a fictionalization of nazi occupation, following a girl hiding with her family while their town and country are being taken by Hitler. Not that it is fictional, but it could be.

crg425 7

I understand the stupidity. Because I know who she is. But maybe the student didn't know who she was, and didn't know it was an actual diary. Isn't that why you are teaching them?

Why is this a surprise? None of knew who Anne Frank was until we learned it in school. Also there are really well known novels called Bridget Jones' Diary and the Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 that obviously have authors of different names.

I am shocked this comment isn't from the US.

semiphonic1966 1

And who wrote "The Diary of Adrian Mole"? Was it Adrian Mole? No!! FFS, the reason the world is in the state it is is because teachers don't give a flying **** about what they teach