By Huedadaa - 19/10/2013 00:05 - France - Cauffry

Today, I asked my students to buy a copy of Anne Frank's diary for an assignment. One of them asked me in all seriousness who wrote it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 199
You deserved it 5 028

Same thing different taste

Top comments

And they say there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Comments

I don't get how this is a generally stupid question. People don't just grow up knowing magically about all the important or famous people that ever lived. At some point, they find out about them - and if this assignment was to be given in a history class that talked about WW2 for the first time, it's a valid question. As some in the comments pointed out already, there are a lot of fictional autobiographies out there. "The diary of Anne Frank" sounds like just a nice (content aside) title for a book to me. If though the assignment was for some higher class AFTER the student's first encounter with WW2 history, yeah, dumb question or really bad former teacher.

Sorry if you're the teacher, in this case YDI. Stop teaching generic cut and paste lesson plans and engage your students - maybe start by explaining enough about the topic to get them to understand the reverence of the holocaust and you just may find someone asking you thoughtful questions instead of obviously distracted ones in-between games of candy crush saga on their iPhones!

One time, I had to do a timeline on a biography/autobiography for an English class. I read The Diary of Anne Frank. I did a great job on it. My teacher counted off 5 points because I didn't put the name of the author on the timeline. Who else would have written The Diary of Anne Frank? FML

SuperMew 22

You still have to put the author on there. I know plenty of books that have 'diary' in the title but are fiction.

That sounds like their problem not yours. It's not your life that sucks. Its theirs for being so stupid.

WellThen0lo 7

That's not that bad maybe they thought it was fiction/biography written by someone else an dust named that

How old are you students, and do they live in a vacuum? Of course you may soon be fired for introducing subversive ideas to your students.

Evilpirate 10

I would've asked same thing, don't see why this is an FML.

SailorSolaris 43

Well, it's a fairly legit question. It might be called Anne Frank's Diary, but it may be a work of fiction written by someone else.