By Huedadaa - 19/10/2013 00:05 - France - Cauffry

Today, I asked my students to buy a copy of Anne Frank's diary for an assignment. One of them asked me in all seriousness who wrote it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 199
You deserved it 5 028

Same thing different taste

Top comments

And they say there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Comments

This reminds me of when her step-sister, Eva, visited our elementary school. I thought her story was so amazing that I read Anne Frank's diary in 5th grade. Looonnnnngggg time ago haha. I just don't understand their logic, surely they know someone else doesn't write their diary entries, right? Unless I've been doing it wrong all along....

You're totally doing it wrong. I thought everyone knew you have to hire someone to write your diary for you. I've got Meg Cabot doing mine, and now I'm a princess :P

tazmanmike2013 17

This is a too sad reality of what our nation has turned into. I remember when I was in school three books were mandatory reading: The Diary of Anne Frank, Animal Farm, and 1984. Most kids today have never even heard of these before.

graceinsheepwear 33
skyttlz 32

I read Animal Farm in 10th grade and the Anne Frank thing was a project in 7th. We also had to read the book Night. We didn't have to read 1984 though.

Can you please stop bringing everybody down? Sure, there's a few bad apples, but that's the way it has been going on forever. I'm 17, and throughout school we have, amongst others, read Animal Farm, Anne Frank's diary, Shakespeare, Knut Hamsun, Ibsen (the last two ones are famous Norwegian writers from the 20th century). I read an article that meant that more teenagers today actually are even more interested in school and getting good grades than previous generations. You are entitled to believe whatever you want, and maybe today's generations read fewer (can I say fewer?) books from 19th and 20th century, but how is that the kids' fault? Last time I checked, it was the teachers and the authorities who was in charge of what kids learn in school, not the kids themselves. And that includes which books they should read in school. (I apologise for eventual mistakes, but I learned english as a third language)

KayleeFrye 39

You're 100% correct, except for the part where teachers are the ones responsible for what students learn. You'd be surprised at how little control teachers are allowed to have in their classrooms. Also, your English is incredible considering it's your third language. You're better than some people who have been speaking English their whole lives!

Yeah, that's why I said authorities too. Thank you!

Treyaldermen 8

Well it's kind of a valid Question I mean diaries aren't always written by the person in the title sometimes it's a fiction novel or rewritten you never know

Yes sometimes they are, but come on it is Anne Frank who has not heard of her??

Students who are learning about her for the first time?

Anne Frank, was the Betty Crocker of old times

That's a normal question. We don't have to know every "famous" book. Maybe some other person has written the book and just called it "Anne Frank's diary" and it's a fictional diary? "Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone" was not written by Harry Potter, you know...

But they have these types of books that actually are written by the person the book talks about and has a definitive name. Biographies. Ever heard of that? Considering it's a diary of a person whom actually lived, I think it's safe to say she wrote it.

You (sort of) make a good point, #52, but that example is shit, lol.

I think you might mean "autobiography". The difference is who's writing the book. (:

Actually, a biography is not written by the person. An autobiography is written by the person.

Zack6849 8

Though it's true harry potter and the sorcerers stone wasn't written by harry potter, you aren't reading a stone, you're reading a fictional book about it.

And that is why it's not called "Harry Potter's diary."

monnanon 13

but Bridget Jones diary was not written by Bridget Jones same with the Adrian Mole books. diary in the title is not indicative of an autobiorgraphy. none of this matters considering how famous the book is.even how she came to write the diary is well known.

buttcramp 21
SuperMew 22

I kind of want to know what age your students are. I did not read Anne Frank's Diary until I was 15, because my religious school did not think we were mature enough to understand it until we were a bit more mature. My cousin read it in 3rd grade. It depends entirely on what the curriculum is like for the school. However, everyone has to learn sometime. Instead of shaming people for not knowing what you do, remember you once didn't know either.

Sooo, WHO wrote it? _ I'm kidding, I know huis the author .-.

addioty 19

Omg I never knew Huis wrote The Diary of Anne Frank!

MiissAshleyy 19

this is the future of our generation. remember this.

one particular individual who doesn't know about a historical figure and her book is not really the future of our generation. Yes there are a handful of uneducated or even completely ignorant people, however they exist in every generation and don't automatically doom the future of the world.