By Anonymous - 08/01/2014 00:39 - United States - Salem

Today, a guy I like asked me to a dance. Trying to act modest and at the same time compliment him, I told him, "You could do so much better, though." After thinking for a moment, he replied, "You're right, I could. Never mind," and walked away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 416
You deserved it 60 980

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I think he just mis interpreted your response for a subtle rejection. bummer though.

Comments

Guys usually take things literally, nice one.

Well, next time, you'll know, based on the lovely advice you're getting from the FML community. Think of it this way: did you have a back-up plan in case your crush dismissed your attempt at flattery? Unless there's a second guy you're interested in (and you're positive he'll agree to go with you), take the low road and give a one-word answer. In any case, most guys appreciate straight-forwardness and confidence. If they don't, you probably don't want a relationship with them in the first place; they'll take advantage of that further down the road. For the future, be honest and tell that special someone how you really feel, and don't spend so much energy on how to butter him up. Remember: it's useless to pull on the line to catch a fish you've already brought into shore.

Now is not the time for you to be modest! You ruin your own chance.

Have some confidence in yourself.... Damn.

I dated a guy once, who told me that I'm too pretty to be with him...that didn't last much longer. insecurity isn't good for a relationship.

CommanderWoof 10

That wasn't "modesty", that was a mind game. Dating is hard enough without purposefully messing with others.

I would have taken your response as a sarcastic way to say 'no'. And if I didn't take it like that and thought you we're looking for reassurance it would be a massive turn off. YDI OP!

wait.. It wasn't a sacarstic no?. Tot it was, i definitely wuld have taken dat as a 'no' Girl what more wher u lukin 4? Y couldnt u just say 'yh sure' lyk a normal person wuld?. Well lesson learned.. Or u go beg him :)

TallMist 32

#86 English, Mothaflippa, do you speak it?!

Way to show him a lack of confidence! Has nobody told you confidence is sexy? Can't blame him for changing his mind. He didn't ask you so that you could put yourself down.