By Anonymous - 08/01/2014 00:39 - United States - Salem

Today, a guy I like asked me to a dance. Trying to act modest and at the same time compliment him, I told him, "You could do so much better, though." After thinking for a moment, he replied, "You're right, I could. Never mind," and walked away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 416
You deserved it 60 980

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I think he just mis interpreted your response for a subtle rejection. bummer though.

Comments

Stop putting yourself down. If a complete stranger walked up to him and told him that he could do better you'd be incensed but why let yourself do it? Next time just say yes, you never know it might be the start of a beautiful thing, you might get your toes trodden on or you might find out he is a total dick. You are never going to know until you try.

I think YDI because....well you kinda turned him down and showed a lack of interest : / if my crush asked me to dance I would not even give him a second to be thinking of someone else to dance with!

My first thought was DUMBASS! Perhaps next time you'll just say yes when a guy asks you out. Have a little confidence in yourself, obviously there was something about you he liked. Now you made yourself look like a person who thinks so little of themselves they need another person to make them feel "special"

SobrietyKills 14

Modesty doesn't mean putting yourself down like that, OP. In this case, YDI.

I can see your attempt at modesty, but how is telling someone they could do so much better a compliment? It just sounds like you're insulting yourself, and at the same time refusing to dance with him.

nitrog100 21

Well look at it this way: you helped boost someone's self esteem.

To me it sounds like a "thank you, but no", rather than as you being modest *facepalm* Take this as a lesson.

In future, I'd avoid such modesty. You're definitely the best date he could muster.

as a girl, I don't understand girls either