By Anonymous - 08/01/2014 00:39 - United States - Salem

Today, a guy I like asked me to a dance. Trying to act modest and at the same time compliment him, I told him, "You could do so much better, though." After thinking for a moment, he replied, "You're right, I could. Never mind," and walked away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 416
You deserved it 60 980

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I think he just mis interpreted your response for a subtle rejection. bummer though.

Comments

Self deprecation isn't attractive nor is it the same as being modest ;)

I agree. Self deprecation only goes to show that a person doesn't have self confidence.

perdix 29

You're both kind of wrong. A clever self-effacing remark can show you are not too full of yourself and make you seem approachable. Use them with great care.

I agree #68... but in this case... No

perdix 29

So, your first words to him were basically criticizing his poor taste in women. I hope you like living alone with a bunch of cats.

That's your own fault. You were trying to get a compliment from him. He was probably turned off by your insecurity issues.

A bigger compliment to him would have been an adorable "Yes!" Sometimes simplicity is best.

maybe he did think of what you said differently so he left.

Really?! Come on, OP!! You ****** yourself over, hard.

megcarpy 19

You deserve it. You don't fish for compliments when someone is asking you out. You just displayed a complete lack of confidence which showed the guy an instant horror story of what might happen if he dated you.