By Anonymous - 08/01/2014 00:39 - United States - Salem

Today, a guy I like asked me to a dance. Trying to act modest and at the same time compliment him, I told him, "You could do so much better, though." After thinking for a moment, he replied, "You're right, I could. Never mind," and walked away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 416
You deserved it 60 980

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I think he just mis interpreted your response for a subtle rejection. bummer though.

Comments

squarecircles 13

Although you were joking, he probably mistook you for someone with low self esteem. Oh well, lesson learned for next time...

kenzierai 8

You seem to be full of yourself if you were being "modest" when it really seems like you were fishing for compliments. Next time if you want to compliment him then say yes and say that you were really glad to be going with him.

There's a difference between acting modest and putting yourself down. No one wants to be around someone who talks badly of themselves, it's boring.

happyfingers 15

Yeah. You deserve that. Just say yes next time, hm?

Go dance with some other guys ! Show him how much fun he missed out on

Your lack of self esteem is kinda tragic OP. Why would you say something like that to a guy you like? Learn from this; don't undervalue yourself, especially in front of people who you really want to see your good qualities.

Don't be an idiot. Guys love to hear they can do better, so sometimes they aim higher. That's not modesty as much as it is asking for a compliment from him that you're the best that he can find.