Supportive

By bopbop - 20/05/2009 01:21 - United States

Today, my brother came out to our family as being gay. My mother starting crying because she "wanted grandchildren." I told her that I was planning on having children. She started crying harder. FML
I agree, your life sucks 74 068
You deserved it 4 367

Same thing different taste

Top comments

junjouromantica 0

What a bitch, for crying for both reasons.

Comments

wait til your mom's dead, then have kids so she's not hurt and you have kids. everyone wins.

what if tha mom does die till op is 45 ???

I have gay relatives, and I don't thnk the mother crying initially is reason to judge her. It's a natural response. The life that you saw for your child no longer holds and you greive for it. Who's to say she didn't wholeheartedly accept and love her son once the initial shock passed? And OP, your part in this story is laughably insignificant. Instead of whining online about your clear misinterpretation, how about you go and be supportive of your family in this difficult time. And #10 it's totally presumptuous to assume the mother is ultra religious. It's simple shock.

#10 - Exactly. Even if you ARE alright, she's not thinking about that. This doesn't really mean anything about you, and the fact that you DID say 'well there's always me' kinda says to me either A. you already knew, or B. you don't really care either way about your brother, because you turned the subject to you. You have to realize your mother isn't thinking about you right now in that way, because, as you see, your brother just announced it to the family. Also, your brother could always decide to adopt. There's nothing wrong with that.

MichelleSoFlyy 0

Oh damn.. well she still can have grandkids your brother can adopt. Your mom is heartless..

Tell your mom she will die without ever knowing her grandchildren for being a twat like that.

There is nothing better than a cup of good old homophobia, especially when paired with the strive for biological immortality. To say it straightforward: Your Mom doesn't love your brother as a person in the first instance, she rather loves his usefulness to her. And now he has confronted her with the fact that her investment in him over all the years will never be profitable on the genetic level. That's what upsets her. Imagine a businessman having built up his company, his wealth, his funds all his life. He looked forward to find pleasure in it in his old days. And then - WHAM! - he loses half of all his assets within a single second. He is too old to build it up again, so the work of two decades is lost forever, no hope of recovering is left. And you wonder why a "So what? You still got the other half!" won't cheer him up? That said, I would be angry like hell if I were your brother. She never had the right to even expect grandchildren, that's *his* decision, not *hers*. Such an intolerance reminds of the famous pissed Catholic Mother ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Aq00yJSxo ). In his place, I'd have told her to quit whining and stop being so selfish, or she would lose her son, too. Because honestly, who needs parents who don't accept you as the person who you are?

Way to be overly dramatic. It's not a far-fetched assumption to make that your child will give you grandchildren - most do. One of my goals in live is to have a big family. With tons of grandchildren. Would I be upset if I found out it may not happen? Yes. Would I love my child any less for not wanting/being able to provide me with them? No.

kewl92 0

wow people are so selfish.. "I want grandchildren blablabla". too bad, you can't choose your family. She should try and support her son.

r8j20cm3lv 5
junjouromantica 0

#10, your comment could have gone either way, so it was my bad to misinterpret what you meant. Totally agree with #17, though.