Compassion

By zawbentley - 26/09/2009 07:01 - United States

Today, I called my boss to let her know that I was suffering from severe depression and that my doctor suggested I take a month's leave. Her response? "Glad you are getting help, however we can't hold your job. No need to come to the office, we'll mail your stuff to you." FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 975
You deserved it 6 517

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Go sue happy. You got the doc's note already right?

Well unless you had something written from your doctor saying you needed to take leave, your boss had no obligation to hold your job for you. It's most likely going to be an ongoing problem and if you need to take that much leave for it it's most likely going to effect your performance again.

Comments

it really irritates me when ignorant people comment. if you dont know what you're talking about then dont say anything. Depression IS an illness and needs to be treated accordingly.people dont choose to be depressed. I think the reason people dont take depression seriously is because people say "im depressed" all the time, when in fact its not depression, its probably just sadness/hurt. Depression can often be hereditary, in which case you are already at risk to suffer from the illness. Low self esteem, abuse, traumatic experiences can all affect a persons mental health. Saying "get over it" about depression is like saying, "get over" being bi-polar, or "get over" cancer,or "get over" post-traumatic stress. Dont you think that if someone were suffering they would "get over it" if they could? Usually,(at least here in Canada), an employer has to hold your position and hire a temp to work while you are on sick leave. If the OP was in fact a bad employee, i believe they have to give 2 weeks notice, in which the employee would be paid for that time. #106.....your comment irritated me more then any other. How do you know the OP has a "decent" house? For all you know, the OP could be living in a bachelor struggling to pay rent. dont assume. You probably deserve to be shot more then anyone for being such a close-minded douche. "supermike" you need to step down off that pedestal. OP...dont listen to these ignorant people. get well soon, and look into sueing your employer!!!

supermike33 0

haha i guess i'm a pretty good troll then.

#109 you took some of the mean comments way to seriously im not going to be mean, but i seriously believe being depressed is all a state of mind.

its not merely a state of mind. stress triggers your neurochemistry to **** up. your brain stops producing seretonin properly. you cant think. you cant sleep, you cant eat. everything becomes meaningless and there is nothing that you can see properly anymore. you cant feel. its as though someones turned the sound off, or dimmed the picture so much that you can barely see it. nothing feels real. life becomes warped and you cant, as much as you try, see it any other way. you feel as though you know all it is; a meaningless eighty year long suffering; pointless and insignificant. you stop wanting to be here and you cannot understand why people do. you shut yourself off and isolate yourself; spending days at a time on your own not taking care of yourself. you believe wrong and have obviously never been truly depressed or seen a close one suffer with this condition.

#113, you have no idea what you're talking about, so shut the **** up. Your ignorance is showing.

supermike33 0

trolling, it's saying a controversial thing just to make someone mad and write a long post. Are you new to the internet?

Talk to your doctor. Talk to a lawyer. Cite the Family and Medical Leave Act (thank you Bill Clinton!) Your boss is probably in the WRONG.

If you've been there over a year, and the company meets certain requirements, they have to keep your job for you and let you take Family Medical Leave, from the FML Act. You might want to talk with a lawyer, or your local employee advocate group. Good luck.

For everyone saying "SUE, GET A LAWYER, and FAMILY MEDICAL LEAVE ACT" there is a huge difference between a doctor suggesting a month off of work, and a doctor requiring a leave of absence for medical treatment. If its not imperative for her recovery, and merely a suggestion, as the OP stated, then the company does not have to keep the job. However, if she is required to attend therapy due to her medically stipulated counseling sessions the would conflict with or would leave her to be rendered unable to work due to a diagnosed illness, then the Family Medical Leave Act would apply.

mnfrmnan 5

Ok, I can't bear to read all of the posts and apologize if I am repeating the info that has been posted in the past..... First I would like to say good for you ( and your doctor) for recognizing that depression is a serious issue. I've suffered with it for a number of years.... Some days its just unbearable to get out of my bed or off of the couch.... BUT, some days I can't wait to start my day like what I thought EVERYBODY else in the world does. Long story short, I had an issue, ended up in the hospital and they had me sectioned to a different hospital. I was very angry at the time, but took advantage of the situation and learned about how to cope with the lows a bit better. I was out of work for 7 weeks.... Due to FMLA I had to have a form filled out (in detail) by a doctor and given to my boss (we don't have an HR Dept.) to explain the reason for my absence. Not quite the ideal situation for a co-worker to know my (now) deepest darkest "secret". I dreaded coming back, but he understood that it is the LAW to hold my job for me. While I was out I spent 1 week in the hospital, did 5 weeks of out-patient - I went back to the hospital daily for classes (they taper down the days), and 1 week to try and get up and function before the dreaded return to work. Out of everything that came out of all of this I learned a few things-- that I wasn't the only one that was having a difficult time, that some people are far more compassionate and understanding that I didn't choose to feel like this and suffer the way that I was, and that when help is offered-- TAKE IT! FMLA is there for a reason, if you need time off because you are physically suffering is no different than if you are mentally suffering. With FMLA you are entitled to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave as long as the Dr. fills out the form within 15 days (I think that is the timeframe) from the first absence. Your work MUST hold your position for you, but they are entitled to exhaust any sick or personal time that you have accrued. Get online and educate yourself and check out the company policies and procedures. It was probably not the best idea to give your boss a heads up on your situation, but its like a tube of toothpaste, can't put it back in once it's out! Regardless of the boss's reaction to this-- you need to take care of yourself and the rest will fall into place. I wish you the best of luck with this, it's a tough road that carries an awful stigma (mostly due to ignorance) to suffer from depression. Going back to work was difficult, but with the new tools that I gained while on leave my good days now outweigh the bad by far!

God bless America, right? And to the commentator above HOLY SHIT, can I get a 12-page essay on the issue on my desk by tomorrow?

What are you, eight? Clinical Depression actually has a physical cause--> imbalances in brain chemistry. But you're right. OP can easily control his/her malfunctioning neurochemicals; what a pussy. You clearly are a great ******* expert on medicine, psychology, or neuroscience. /sarcasm STFU

grandma52 0

I haven't read all the previous posts and am probably repeating things. You can apply for FMLA if you've been with your employer at least 12 months. Apply does not automatically mean it will be granted. If you are in your job less than the standard probationary period, usually 90 days, your employer can legally release you without explanation. Best of luck

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you could sue them or charge them for that.