Compassion

By zawbentley - 26/09/2009 07:01 - United States

Today, I called my boss to let her know that I was suffering from severe depression and that my doctor suggested I take a month's leave. Her response? "Glad you are getting help, however we can't hold your job. No need to come to the office, we'll mail your stuff to you." FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 975
You deserved it 6 517

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Go sue happy. You got the doc's note already right?

Well unless you had something written from your doctor saying you needed to take leave, your boss had no obligation to hold your job for you. It's most likely going to be an ongoing problem and if you need to take that much leave for it it's most likely going to effect your performance again.

Comments

xSceneSceneBabyx 0
xx_irish_rose_xx 0

Well, what do you expect? They need to make money and get stuff done, they can't have an employee gone for that long and not hire somebody new. Also staying home for a month isn't really going to help your depression, to get better from depression you have to force yourself to go out and do things if you just stay home all the time you'll feel worse.

They never said they were going to stay home for a month, just that they weren't going to be going to work for a month. Maybe they are going to treatment during that time. Staying home wouldn't really help, but depending on the severity and issues they are facing, going to work might not help either.

ohJeeznotme 7

Firing someone who requested a medical leave is pretty much illegal everywhere. Call a lawyer. I had a friend go through something similar and sued the shit out of the job.

If you act like a ******' pussy, treat yourself like a pussy - well no wonder others do as well, and in the end you really become a pussy w/o friends, 'cause noone really wants to listen to your whining.

I call bullshit! Prolly were looking for any excuse to not work and try to get paid for it.

lbl03c 0

if this is true and you are in the US, then what your boss is doing is illegal. If you have a medical condition that forces you to take time off from your job, but you can get well enough to return to your job, then they can not fire you just for the medical condition.

cucuto89 0

I'm betting theres another part of this story your not telling us. Maybe your just a bad employee?

myhairynutsack 0

ummm... maybe your job had something to do with your depression? sounds like they didn't treat you well anyway. They did you a favor.

I dont blame your boss. I wouldnt hold someones job for one month.