Compassion

By zawbentley - 26/09/2009 07:01 - United States

Today, I called my boss to let her know that I was suffering from severe depression and that my doctor suggested I take a month's leave. Her response? "Glad you are getting help, however we can't hold your job. No need to come to the office, we'll mail your stuff to you." FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 975
You deserved it 6 517

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Go sue happy. You got the doc's note already right?

Well unless you had something written from your doctor saying you needed to take leave, your boss had no obligation to hold your job for you. It's most likely going to be an ongoing problem and if you need to take that much leave for it it's most likely going to effect your performance again.

Comments

go to yer union your boss cant fire you without a legit reason..

hateevryone 14

that's stupid. people just have no sympathy nowadays

That's original capitalism for you. I see nothing wrong with this. & your boss was even nice to mail your stuff home.

Quit whining. You're too depressed to work, yet you can get on FML and complain. You deserve it!

You really don't know that much about depression, do you?

"You have a cold, so you can't go to school but you can complain about it?" Depression is a medical condition and you can't just will it away like you can a sad mood. (Trust me, I have it.)

shrdlu 28

What if, for example, the OP needed surgery and would be out for a month. Would that make things any different? Mental illness is an illness and should be treated the same way as any other illness.

They can not do that with the family medical leave act it is a federal violation so sue them and after you get a good settlement make them miserable.

nicholasj96 9

Would you expect them to hold your job, after a months leave ?