Compassion

By zawbentley - 26/09/2009 07:01 - United States

Today, I called my boss to let her know that I was suffering from severe depression and that my doctor suggested I take a month's leave. Her response? "Glad you are getting help, however we can't hold your job. No need to come to the office, we'll mail your stuff to you." FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 975
You deserved it 6 517

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Go sue happy. You got the doc's note already right?

Well unless you had something written from your doctor saying you needed to take leave, your boss had no obligation to hold your job for you. It's most likely going to be an ongoing problem and if you need to take that much leave for it it's most likely going to effect your performance again.

Comments

styphon 5

This also violates the Americans with disability act, which is federal law. Under this act, depression is clearly included.

Wind197 0

As said above, under the FMLA if your condition prohibits you from working they must hold your job for up to 12 weeks, they aren't required to pay you but do have to hold your job for you. The problem being the doctor suggested you take off from work, so they could argue you can still work to get around it. It's obivous though that your boss doesn't want you there so I'd suggest asking a lawyer if you have a wrongful termination suit.

They can't fire you for following doctor's orders, you can sue them (as people have already mentioned, there are laws against this). I'd suggest looking for a local advocacy group to help you. Depression is a disease and you need help and support to get past it, not get canned because you went after that help. Shame on them for being so insensitive. Don't let the trolls get to you, what your boss did is wrong.

Correction, depression is a condition, not a disease. If it was a disease, it would have to be caused by another foreign living organism in your body. Anyway, it IS legal if they don't terminate you from your job immediately, and instead give you work from home. Then, since you are still working, it would be perfectly legal to have them terminate your job if your performance is not up to standards.

lem0n_fml 0

Actually, no, diseases aren't only caused by foreign objects. "a disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, or system of the body resulting from the effect of genetic or developmental errors, infection, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness; sickness; ailment." Note the word GENETIC. :)

underyourbreath 8

#86: You're just all sorts of wrong. Huntington's DISEASE, Coeliac DISEASE, Sickle-cell anemia = DISEASE, cancer = DISEASE

That sucks! You should sue them for unfair dismissal.

tomakobriefs 11

#11, that only works if they've been at their job for 12 months. If they haven't been there that long, then too bad, so sad.

"I'm taking a month off, starting now." "No need to come back." "FML" OP handled the request for medical leave in the worst way possible. No sympathy, YDI.

MiseryMan 0

You think the world is going to get on their knees to you just because you feel sad? Life is hard and everyone suffers, and the strong can take it without giving in to vulnerability and emotions. YDI

you sir, are the very reason that i am currently having to try to not swallow a bottle of paracetamol and bleach. little rant; **** YOU YOU ******* ****. **** YOUR INSENSETIVE SHALLOW IDIOTIC ARROGANT AND IGNORANT SHITHEADED VIEW OF THE WORLD. **** YOU FOR THINKING THAT CLINICAL DEPRESSION IS MERELY A MOOD. YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS TO JUST WANT IT TO STOP SO BADLY THAT YOU WOULD DO ANYTHING? YOU KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO HURT SO ******* MUCH AND HAVE **** ALL TO DO ABOUT IT? TO TRULY HATE BEING HERE WITH A BUNCH OF ***** THAT ARE PART OF THE REASON YOU CANT TELL ANYONE? **** YOU YOU ****. **** YOUR ******* ****** FAMILY. **** YOUR ******* JOB. **** YOUR ******* FRIENDS. SUCK A DICK. CHOKE ON IT. BECAUSE A LACK OF SERETONIN IS CURRENTLY MAKING ME WANT TO DO THINGS THAT YOU DISMISS AS BEING RETARDED AND WEAK. JUST **** YOU. **** THE LOT OF YOU. **** YOU **** YOU **** YOU **** YOU yeah.... basically, you suck **** you ignorant ass. thats like telling someone without any legs to run to the store and calling them weak if they fall over or cant move. and you wont understand and you will mock me and i really havent the capacity to care. ive been in this obviously merely pathetic state severely for nearly two years now and im sixteen. im on fluxotine (prozac) and every day is an unbearable piece of shit. i know that life is stressy and hard and thats exactly why i dont see the point in being it. and no, im not one of those whiny emo bitches. when i could function, i did my best. nobody outisde my family or doctors/therapists knows of my condition and before i cut them out, i didnt tell a single one of my friends. i tried to pretend to be happy and i buckled. i couldnt function. now i cant go to school, i cant concentrate enough to read literature wheras i was an a* student and i cant bear to be with people. i get around three to four hours' sleep last night and a lot of the time the concept of eating makes me feel sick. im disgusted myself yet i havent the capacity to care for anything anymore. tell me its just a low mood.

Yeah life must be SO HARD. You had friends, family, food, education and shelter. WOW no wonder you hate your life. That sounds SO TERRIBLE. Grow up.

Look at the economy right now, it's plain selfish to expect to be able to keep your job, regardless of your emotional issues. (which many people have and deal with on a daily basis.)

this wasn't supposed to comment here..........

You honestly expect your job to be there after you take a month off? You realize that there are millions of people that are unemployed right now and can't get jobs (myself included after being laid off), and you think they give two ***** about a depressed employee? You're so easily replaced these days that you have no room fighting this, you've already lost. Go apply for unemployment.

ithedarkone 0

Well what do you expect. If your depressed the job can't be hold accountable. Unless it something specifically relating to the job and you made a complaint about it. Otherwise if you can't work they have the right to find someone that will. At least that's what i think I'm not an expert so feel free to say something if I'm wrong lol.