Compassion

By zawbentley - 26/09/2009 07:01 - United States

Today, I called my boss to let her know that I was suffering from severe depression and that my doctor suggested I take a month's leave. Her response? "Glad you are getting help, however we can't hold your job. No need to come to the office, we'll mail your stuff to you." FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 975
You deserved it 6 518

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Go sue happy. You got the doc's note already right?

Well unless you had something written from your doctor saying you needed to take leave, your boss had no obligation to hold your job for you. It's most likely going to be an ongoing problem and if you need to take that much leave for it it's most likely going to effect your performance again.

Comments

that's fair enough. they need someone to do you're job, if you cant they need a replacement.

Your boss's decision actually makes sense. If they didn't fire you and couldn't find a temp, they could be running at a loss and the company could go under.

So you expected to get a month of work? YDA

i also suffer from depression but I also am realistic. enough to know that no one is going to hold a job for me for a month. That's ridiculous.

randybryant799 20

I too suffer from depression but I also know that if I don't go to work I don't have a job. Did you seriously think they were just going to hold your job for you? The world keeps moving even if you are depressed. I'm glad you're getting help.

Pretty sure it's illegal to do that (at least it is in the UK not sure where OP is from), employers are legally required to provide support such as giving reasonable time to recover from illness. While this happens hould be getting at least statutory sick pay. Although it is possible for employers to dismiss someone with long term health conditions that make it impossible to do the job, they are required to make reasonable accommodations. In addition severe depression can constitute a disability, therefore termination of employment on that basis is a breach of the Equality Act 2010 and your employer could be subject to a lawsuit for discrimination and unlimited fines.