By Angel - 13/01/2016 13:56 - United States - Charlotte

Today, the guy I'm dating took me to a dinner party at a couple's house. Halfway through dinner, I realized they were having the dinner party for the sole purpose of introducing him to their recently single daughter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 196
You deserved it 1 758

Same thing different taste

Top comments

do they know you're dating or do they just not like you?

That's a shame. Maybe he wasn't aware it was for the daughter?

Comments

I'm more confused to why this guy is going to dinner parties with people old enough to be his parents

Railroader 16

#18 its not that uncommon, I do that all the time. I have lots of people who I count as friends who are old enough to be my grandparents. they invite me to dinner every once in awhile. not that strange. As for them trying to set their daughter with him; he probably brought his girlfriend with him to show that he was in a relationship, without being completely rude to them.

My best guess is that the dinner party is with friends much older than him, probably met through something work related. They really like him and want him to be with their daughter. They invited him either not knowing he was in a relationship or knowing and thinking they mine as well meet anyway. Either way, I consider this socially acceptable. They are simply introducing their daughter, with the underlining intentions unclear you can't say there's anything wrong here.

salvorican 24

26 - I think the girls parents made their intentions clear enough for OP to notice.

Ah that makes sense, I'm in an environment where most people I encounter are around my age so I guess it's made me a little narrow minded.

#20 Evidently they didn't take the hint

That sucks, OP. Being used never feels good. Hope things work out in the future!

Jeez, it's like M. Night Shyamalan wrote a romantic comedy.

It could've been worse, you could have been the single daughter.

LuckBeNimble 19

Today, I finally agreed to having my parents play matchmaker for me. Might've gone great had the guy they were trying to set me up with not brought his GF. FML.

Damn #22 I accidentally hit thumbs down instead of up....

...Sounds like the beggining of a **** movie

do they know you're dating or do they just not like you?

That's a shame. Maybe he wasn't aware it was for the daughter?

aeryn97 17

Or maybe he did and invited his girlfriend to avoid the topic altogether?

Bold strategy cotton, let's see how it plays out.

jessenia123 27

I'm just saying why would people press you deserve it she didn't know what the dinner party was about!

snarkytruth 37

I agree with you. There isn't any angle where Girlfriend would have deserved it unless girlfriend cheated and this was his revenge. Except OP says nothing to even hint that's what happened and no girl would want a guy that brought a girlfriend to a get acquainted party at her home. She would be humiliated. A)Either boyfriend wanted to stop the parents from bugging him. B) Boyfriend hadn't a clue. Either way a "you deserve it vote" = immature kids that shouldn't be on here voting like douchebags only because they can (they need more life experience). Maybe they don't understand the story but I think it's mostly brats.