By Michelle - 06/12/2014 03:35 - United States - Abingdon

Today, I went to dinner at my parents' house. I was going to surprise them by introducing them to my new boyfriend. They decided to surprise me too, by inviting my ex to the dinner. Everyone was surprised tonight. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 736
You deserved it 3 023

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Hiimhaileypotter 52

Awkward! Why would they invite your ex, though?

Just because the OP was dating a new person doesn't mean that she hasn't broken up with her ex for a while. The parents probably knew about the breakup, liked the ex and was trying to play re-matchmaker without knowing she had already moved on?

Comments

Hiimhaileypotter 52

Awkward! Why would they invite your ex, though?

They probably thought they were still dating. OP stated that the person she brought to dinner was her 'new' boyfriend.

Just because the OP was dating a new person doesn't mean that she hasn't broken up with her ex for a while. The parents probably knew about the breakup, liked the ex and was trying to play re-matchmaker without knowing she had already moved on?

#12: Yeah, sometimes parents are douchebags.

I think it's pretty rude of your parents to invite your ex (and I assume they knew you two had broken up) unless you guys happened to break it off on great terms and are actually still friends.

My question is why on earth the ex would agree to come over. He knew they were broken up and that it'd be awkward. As far as desperate-plans-to-get-OP-back go, family dinners are pretty likely to do more harm than good...

brssps1 19

It was definitely ex-tra awkard for OP.

It wasn't ex-actly what everyone had in mind.

I hope OP will leave a follow-up to ex-plain what happened.

I'm ex-tremely amused. I hope the parents had a good ex-cuse.

jbombdighetty 11

the amount of downvotes per comment are respectively ex-ponential

PSYqualiac 17

I would love if OP left an ex-planation.

Oyas12 14

I can't believe this thread actually ex-ist

Ex-plain to me why the puns are so funny

rekkas 16

This is why I just try my hardest not to involve my parents in anything .

I'm sure both guys felt super awkward. Poor OP..

Now I know why some people hate surprises...Atleast drop a hint or something :/

I agree, some surprises end poorly... communication is key to avoiding mating ritual death matches

Wow that would have probably been super awkward. Hopefully the food was good enough to pass things by....

ScottVining 21

Maybe they didn't know you had broken up

JMichael 25