By bannana0zoom - 03/03/2012 08:06 - Canada

Today, it's my birthday. My mom got me a gym membership and a bunch of clothes that are a few sizes too small. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 010
You deserved it 7 973

Same thing different taste

Top comments

K_kanaka 26

You can't understand it now, but in a few weeks or months, if you really hit the gym, you will love her for that present. Happy birthday!

Comments

It's my birthday too! Happy Birthday!!!!

MickGold 8

Did anyone else bother to check if her birthday in her info matched the date today? It says her's is November 3rd... If your info is wrong: happy birthday!:D If your info is right: find attention somewhere else, please. Your a pretty person, I'm sure you could find it somewhere better than FML(:

80- I didn't bother looking at her info to verify it, she can change that just as easily if she really wanted to. I'm just assuming it's her b-day, cause she said so. :) And if it's not and she needs that lil bit of attention, I don't mind. Hurts me none. :) So, Happy Unbirthday! ;)

she could have just watched the "I Love Lucy" episode when they were in Italy, and every little kid approached Lucy after she gave one boy a gift for his birthday, saying "It's ah-my birthday too!" so they can get presents too....just saying :)

So I suppose no birthday cake this year then?

Has it occurred to the people posting that this is a good thing that the op might like their current size?

Maybe OP really is overweight/obese and just doesn't accept it or even realize it. Maybe this is like the mother's version of an intervention... Or the OP could be healthy, and her mom could just be a sh*tty parent. We don't really know.

She miiiight like her size, so yeah, I guess the small clothes could be a slap in the face. But a gym membership is good for a person of any size. Working out makes you healthy. It was a good gift. Even though OP was offended, her mom's gift was still really thoughtful. And you know, it could have been worse, her mom could have bought diet pills.

bizarre_ftw 21

Okay listen, take the positive or negative side op's mum still gave her the equivalent of a card that says "YOU'RE FAT! Start working out so we don't have to suffer through that any more" For, did anyone forget? Her Birthday!!! no one deserves to be told they're fat on their special day

Even if the gift is beneficial I think it is thoughtless. Even if it were needed for health reasons a birthday is definitely not the time to bring it up.

pinkcrayola 0

Am I the only one that notices OP doesn't specify that they're overweight? They could be normal weight and the mom could just be a bitch...

perdix 29

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt. The solution to a weight problem is to choose even fatter friends so you are the "hot" one ;)

VasilisaUzhasnaj 29

Regardless of what weight you are, going to the gym is healthy, and will keep you physically fit. No one gets anorexic by going to the gym, as some of you seem to think happens. That makes no sense.

MissHayleyJames 7

Actually if you go to the gym and do nothing but cardio, you can get disgustingly skinny. So while it wouldn't make you anorexic by definition, you can sure look like it.

Be happy and grateful. You're hurt and ticked off now. But take advantage of it and the moment you are able to fit into the smaller clothes and see your fitter self in the mirror, you will be very grateful to her. Go for it! There is no compelling reason to be overweight and unfit. You can do it. Cheer up, don't be a crybaby.

perdix 29

Maybe you can trade that shit in for an industrial-strength couch and a couple of muumuus. A lot easier than doing the hard, sweaty work to squeeze into the little clothes.

I seem to be the only one who thinks that the 'gifts' are a little mean spirited, despite the positive intent that may be there. Nothing says "Happy Birthday" like "You're fat! Fix it now!", right? ... The gym membership alone would have been okay. But adding the few sizes too small clothing is just a brutal stab. Plus, there's no notion that OP is 'fat' by means of 'morbidly obese'. Maybe they have just a little bit of tummy poking out. Nice and healthy, but thanks to society's image of what's 'healthy', OPs mom believes her tummy needs to be as flat as a desk so you can count the ribs as you trail upward. *sigh* I'll just stop now. The comments above mine are already depressing enough. There's no doubt I'm probably alone on this opinion anyways.

44- Actually you're not alone in that pov. I would appreciate the gym membership as I like to workout and memberships can get a little pricey. But purposely buying someone clothes that don't fit them? That could be taken the wrong way and hurt a little, mom should have maybe gotten OP a gift certificate to lulu-lemon's instead. But perhaps mean or not, OP could turn this around use it as a positive motivator for herself, not her mother. :) Go OP!

jujubunni5 9

I agree with you too. If op is comfortable with herself her mom should be to.

I agree with you #44. I also think that by choosing the size s/he "should" wear is like asking the OP to fulfill her/his mother's expectations. What if OP has a different goal? When it comes to weight/size, at the end of the day the only thing that should matter is feeling healthy and comfortable with yourself, not trying to meet society's or anyone else's standards.

#44, but that's not fair. The clothes and membership DON'T say "You're fat! Fix it now." They don't say anything. That's just your interpretation. Another person's interpretation of the gifts could be "I'm concerned about you. Here are the tools and some motivation to get healthy." You're also assuming that the OP only has a little tummy tucking out, which would mean that the mom is a terrible parent. We can't know that. The OP could have a real problem. And society doesn't equate health with being underweight. Sure, ads might show that, but most people are aware that models are not standard people, and just by looking at comments on here, you'll see that lots of people promote "curvy" bodies over "thin" ones. There are tons of opinions out there, so it's not fair to just assume that the OP's mother thinks that anorexia is healthy... I don't understand why it's so acceptable to intervene or talk to people about other problems-- drug addictions, alcoholism, smoking, self-harm, eating disorders, etc.-- yet whenever anyone tries to help overweight people or generally people whose diet/exercise habits are not healthy, it's considered offensive or perpetuating "fatist" ideals.

MrsUresti 8

Good Motivation OP you can do it!!!!

When your mom says you're fat, then you ARE fat.

MickGold 8

That is not true. My best friend's mom calls her fat because she has beautiful curves like a grown woman at 14 and her mom is a bitch. But she is very fit and healthy, not at all fat. So OP's mom could just be an insecure bitch... Or just a bitch in general. If your mom says your fat, you ARE NOT necessarily fat, your mom may just be a bitch or another of the many possible variables. (:

MickGold 8

*you're. Sorry, typed that out fast, didn't think about it. All is well now that I've corrected my own mistake(:

thatonetroll 0

77/82 If you are a Jesus thumper why you freaking out? Not respecting elders + bad language. Doesn't sound to thumpy to me.

MickGold 8

105-how about you keep your comments about me in Private Message or just to yourself... OR just quit creeping! And if you read right, "Bible thumper" Good day!