By nevaagain - 19/08/2016 20:00 - United States - Saint Paul

Today, I saw a cute guy at the coffee shop reading a book. Wanting to be friendly, I smiled as I approached and asked what he was reading. He returned the smile and said, "Minding your damn business, by Fuck Off." FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 452
You deserved it 3 503

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Shit, I have to admit that while you did get blindsided and I have sympathy for you, the dude was a ******* savage

I would have responded "well I heard fans of that book are real asshats"

Comments

That was savage af. There were so many other ways to let you know he didn't want to talk to you. But RE your username, I hope this doesn't stop you from confidently approaching people in the future!

He's a twatmuffin. But a clever twatmuffin.

Well, wasn't he a charming asshat? If he simply didn't want to be bothered while reading, he could have said something much nicer. And as a Southern raised with politeness and friendliness as mainstays, that's particularly vile behavior from him. Good on you for trying to make conversation, OP.

TabooSushi 24

Wow. I mean, I don't like to be bothered when I'm reading, but that guy was just a douche canoe about it. A simple "I'm reading (insert title here), and I'm sorry but I really would prefer to be left alone right now" would have sufficed.

I wonder if that's supposed to be some sort of hint... Nah, can't be. Keep bugging him, OP.

he was a little rude, but I don't like being bothered in public either. That's why I wear earplugs and listen to music!

You deserve it. If someone is reading, don't bother them. Chances are you just pulled them out of a great story line. I know for me, it's hard to get back into my book after someone interrupts me.

Seriously? So now being friendly is considered rude in 2016? Come on, the guy wasn't doing heart surgery. I think giving up a few minutes of reading in order to make a new friend is a pretty good trade off (after all, the world seems to have so little of those nowadays). If she wanted to give him a compliment, was she supposed to just wait until he finished with his book, or follow him outside and to his house?

People are allowed to want to be left alone in public. You shouldn't be rude about it, but reading a book is a pretty good sign that they don't want to talk with people. If she really wanted to talk to him, yes she should have waited until he put the book down.

As much of an avid bookworm as I am, I would love nothing more then what Op did. But that is just my opinion. Usually the best way to talk to someone who's reading is to wait until they look up or start moving their eyes around the room, this indicates that they're at a lul in the plot.

If I'm reading, it means I'm in a different world. I find it incredibly rude when some interrupts that without good reason. The guy was kind of a dick about it, but OP should know better

If he was as nice as he was cute would have been good.

The cute ones are always the assholes