By nevaagain - 19/08/2016 20:00 - United States - Saint Paul

Today, I saw a cute guy at the coffee shop reading a book. Wanting to be friendly, I smiled as I approached and asked what he was reading. He returned the smile and said, "Minding your damn business, by Fuck Off." FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 454
You deserved it 3 503

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Shit, I have to admit that while you did get blindsided and I have sympathy for you, the dude was a ******* savage

I would have responded "well I heard fans of that book are real asshats"

Comments

mermaidgirle 12

Sorry for that OP. While I understand all too well not liking to be disturbed while reading that was quite rude on his part.

That's when you figure out what book he's actually reading, look up the ending, and go back and spoil it for him. >:)

Imagine what would have happened ifthe genders are reversed

I can't stand all the people here saying you deserved it for 'interrupting him'. Basic decency isn't leaving him alone, basic decency is going up to him and keeping the conversation short and concise, giving your number, then leaving. There's nothing wrong with being friendly towards someone. His behavior was completely out of line. He might have been into his book, but is that reason for him to go out of his way to lash at OP? All she did was ask what book he had. I guarantee if he had been playing a video game instead of reading, half the comments here would have said "Ugh, gamers, don't worry OP, he can go back to living in his mom's basement". Are we supposed to avoid people we like every time they're doing anything except standing and breathing? That man was in the wrong big time. Imagine if he acted that way in the workplace when typing, or towards his family members when cooking. Enjoying an activity has never been and never will be a reason to flat out disrespect someone who did nothing to you.

Interrupting someone who is clearly preoccupied is NOT being friendly. We can debate the level of harshness in his response, but that guy had every right to shut OP's shit down quickly and effectively.

"OP's shit"? She thought that he was cute and wanted to let him know that- she'd barely said a word to him. If he wanted to be left alone, he shouldn't have been in public. If something is so important to you that you CANNOT be bothered, then you should do it in the privacy of your own home. Otherwise, you can't blame others for 'interrupting' when you're in a place of socialization.

Then go the **** home and read if you don't want to be interrupted so badly that you have to be an ass. I respect a person's right to privacy and space, but there's a way to go about it.

Okay, but sometimes going home isn't an option. I mean, I know I'm not the only one who uses reading as an attempt to DETER people from trying to talk to me. Dude was rude as hell and I could never be as rude as that, but still. OP shouldn't take reading as an open invitation to flirt.

That dude is straight savage and thinks really quick

Everybody that says he's a asshole for doing that if this was girl reading and dude wanted to talk to her, you'd say she did the right thing

Not true actually. There is no reason no matter what sex you are to be an ass like that. If the guy didn't want to talk there are other ways to go about it. Being a complete asshole was not one of them. Now as others have said if he gave numerous signals that he did not wanna talk and op persisted then I can understand his response. But a simple question did not warrant that response.

For God's sake, why would you interrupt someone who clearly wants to be left the **** alone? I've been bothered by people (men) enough while reading that I am grateful you posted so that I can use the guy's response next time I get hassled, but YFDI.

Asking a simple questions is not bothering someone. I am an avid reader. And while yes it bugs me when I am really into a book and someone asks me something, I do not lash out at them. While being in a public place is not an open invitation to talk to someone there was no reason for the guys reaction. If he really did not want to talk he could have just shown op the cover of the boom so she could see for herself. Kill two birds with one stone. Answer op's question and show op that hey I do not wanna talk. But people that lash out like that are just complete dick heads and have no reason to be in public. If you don't want it be disturbed at all then go somewhere private and you will be left all to your lonesome. But in public there is always a chance you will be disturbed. Deal with it.

Well... perhaps he just didn't want to admit he was reading **** that didn't involve your gender?

What a douche nozzle! Sorry you had to go through that.