By nevaagain - 19/08/2016 20:00 - United States - Saint Paul

Today, I saw a cute guy at the coffee shop reading a book. Wanting to be friendly, I smiled as I approached and asked what he was reading. He returned the smile and said, "Minding your damn business, by Fuck Off." FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 454
You deserved it 3 503

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Shit, I have to admit that while you did get blindsided and I have sympathy for you, the dude was a ******* savage

I would have responded "well I heard fans of that book are real asshats"

Comments

Admittedly that was a little harsh. But I don't really like it when Im minding my own business and strangers bother me either.

I wish a girl would come to talk me like that FML.

Gonna play Devil's advocate here. I am a huge reader i love reading. But people have this thing where they force you to adhere to when and where you can read. I for 10 years had a 2 hour commute to and from work. The only places I could read was on my commute and lunch. My reading time was precious by the time I got home it was time to eat something quick and sleep. If I ever wanted to read a book, watch a show, see a movie, play a game. All of this had to be done during my commute. I would hunch my shoulders put in earbuds with obviously colored wires and make myself as small as possible while pretending I couldn't hear anyone coming up to me so that I could keep enjoying my only free time. Seriously weekends I had to clean my apartment and run errands. Those 2 hours from my place to the office were my free time. If you had come up to me I would have just ignored you but if you were the 20th such person you would have gotten snapped at. It gets grating especially if you're obviously not looking for conversation. To be fair you sound like you were one of the few people being nice about it but I have had people put their hands between my face and what I am reading/watching so closely that I could have licked their hand without moving my head. And during lunch was the worst I only had 30 minutes to get to watch one episode of a show I had to wait for Netflix to get that other people had seen 5 years earlier and people in what seemed a constant stream kept stopping me to ask "Hey what are you watching" So while yeah it sucks the guy snapped at you it might suck for him too.

His behavior was uncalled for if this was his first response, but if that wasn't his first response, and he at first tried to politely disengage from the conversation and you didn't take the hint and kept trying to talk to him, then you deserved it. Usually, if somebody is reading a book or wearing headphones, that's a sign that they don't want to be disturbed unless you need to tell/ask them something important.

Well I think he overreacted a little bit but still though: The guy was reading a book. Don't ******* talk to people that are reading or have earphones in. They are OBVIOUSLY not looking for human interaction riht now so just LEAVE THEM BE and if they have earphones in AND are reading a book you better not even ******* look at them. (Totaly serious here) I'm talking from experience. I'm reading? Don't talk to me. Simple... Or so I might think.