By nevaagain - 19/08/2016 20:00 - United States - Saint Paul

Today, I saw a cute guy at the coffee shop reading a book. Wanting to be friendly, I smiled as I approached and asked what he was reading. He returned the smile and said, "Minding your damn business, by Fuck Off." FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 454
You deserved it 3 503

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Shit, I have to admit that while you did get blindsided and I have sympathy for you, the dude was a ******* savage

I would have responded "well I heard fans of that book are real asshats"

Comments

That's a Idiot. there are many sweet and loving guy about there. you will find one.

If you ever see me while I'm reading a book then please ask me. I would take it as a compliment and be flattered if a girl approaches me and initiates a conversation.

Don't interrupt people when they are reading. YDI.

Basic decency 101. If someone is engrossed in any sort of solo activity (such as reading a book), don't go bothering them for the sake of bothering them.

If someone interrupts your reading for no other reason than they want attention, you're free to tell them to **** off as bluntly as you wish.

They want attention? Or they just want to make a new friend? You have every right to tell them to **** off but all that does is show that YOU'RE the rude one and that you clearly have zero understanding of how to interact with people in a normal way.

#119 OP is an attention seeker. She didn't ask him because she was truly interested in what he was reading. She asked him because he was cute.

LittleLittlered7 6

Wow. I get annoyed when ppl (especially strangers) interrupt me when I'm reading. I get more annoyed if they use it as an excuse to strike up a conversation. "Excuse me, you dropped something " is fine, but interrupt me when I'm reading to chat is like walking up to me when I'm having an enjoyable convo w someone, grabbing my arm and pulling me away. But... You did NOT deserve the rude. He could've said, "I'm fine, just engrossed in a good book" and looked back down. If you (like many others) ignore the hints, then you'd deserve it. But what an ass! How does he have friends?

Maybe he doesn't have friends. He is an ass, alone at a coffee shop, reading... could be why?

Maybe he's alone at a coffee shop reading BY CHOICE? Coffee shops tend to have more important things than interrupting strangers, like good coffee and closer proximity to one's workplace than one's home.

I still find it strange but great how in America, people just sit down with strangers in cafes, etc. and just strike up a conversation. In Ireland, we're so awkward and we keep to ourselves and only talk to strangers if we have to. It's rare to come across someone here so outgoing. Even if tables in a place are full and someone about to leave offers you to sit with them while they finish off their food/coffee so you can have your coffee, not much conversation goes on other than "thank you", "it's so busy today" and "goodbye"...And that's not just me being socially awkward, nearly everyone I know is like that, lol...

And this is exactly why I'd rather just have a friend pass a cute guy my number than to go up to him myself. Oh, and I love reading books too, but I hate when someone comes up and asks me "what book are you reading", or "what's it about"?. I usually end up having to make up a title and short synopsis of a suspense book, just because I'm too embarrassed to admit it's a romance book. Lol

This is why you don't interrupt people when they're reading.

YDI. Don't try and pick up someone when they're reading, you're interrupting their time they have to themselves to read and engross themselves. I would have done more than that to you had you done the same thing. It would have been obvious to him that you wanted to pick him up too since the title is on the front of the damn cover. B**ch.

cootiequeen4444 11

#45 you sound like a pleasant socially competent person with a ton of friends. psych. Do the sane world a favor and don't read in public (e.g. coffee shops or public benches .. rather than places like libraries or whatever where silence and solitude is expected) if you aren't willing to be civil with the public... and I'm saying this as someone who hates to have my alone time - reading or whatever - be interrupted.. It's not my personal space/ home though so I do make sure to not be an ass hole in return as no it is not deserved.

ohsnapword 21

If you want to be left alone while reading, the coffee shop is actually the LEAST ideal place for that.

LittleLittlered7 6

Unfortunately, that's true in my experience. "Alone and in public" seems to make a person "fair game". People (at least ignorant OR rude people) treat coffee shops like alcohol free bars. I actually once had someone say, " oh come on, we both you you didn't just come here to read." ... um... yeah, yeah I did.

FalloutScrolls 25

Wow. I bet he's really popular in a group. Good thing you don't have to waste any more time with an asshole like that.