By Anonymous - 10/03/2013 00:40 - United Kingdom - Brighton

Today, I received an email from my friend in South Africa, with whom I'll soon be staying for 2 months. She was telling me that she had bought me a few things so I would be prepared for my stay. What did she buy me? A taser and some pepper-spray. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 984
You deserved it 5 564

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ahahaha! Your friend's a joker, mate. A taser won't help you here!

Comments

Speaking as a South African citizen, there are a lot of things to consider about living here. The crime rate is high but a lot of crimes could be avoided by using logic. Never walk by yourself especially not at night. Be cautious at robots and when getting in or out of your car. Be observant and you should be okay. The pepper spray and the taser are merely precautions. I carry pepper spray everywhere I go but thats because of experiences I have already had. Just because you have it doesn't mean you need to ever use it. That being said, this is one of the most beautiful countries you could ever visit. The people are very friendly once you get to know them. Places like Cape Town and Knysna have some beautiful ocean views and a trip to Robben Island is unforgettable. Go see all the sights you can and you will be fine as long as you are observant.

More rape occurs in Africa then all other countries put together... Duh

#165 *than Please work on your grammar. God I hope you are trolling. Africa is a continent. South Africa is a country. Just because South Africa is part of Africa does not mean it shares all of the statistics. Therefore your statement is irrelevant. OP is not visiting every place in Africa. She is visiting one country. You are also forgetting that while South Africa may have the highest reported rape statistic in the world, there are many women who will not report a rape. Often women don't say anything to anyone because they feel so ashamed. So its actually impossible to say which country has the highest rape statistic as not every rape is reported. The fact that rape in South Africa is being reported is a good thing because it means that the people that do this degrading act, are hunted down and served with criminal charges. If a rape goes unreported, then the person who committed the rape gets off and can rape again. Yes, the rape statistic is very high in SA but it is still a crime that OP can avoid by being observant and careful. By the way, I would love to see your evidence that proves your statement of "more rapes occur in Africa then all other countries put together... Duh". As far as I can tell, you have no legal statistics and are either trolling or just trying to sound smarter than you are.

i live in south africa and to be honest, your friend is helping you..

Iniezian 18

Why was everyone who mentioned what a dangerous place South Africa is thumbed down? WTF people, it's the truth, South Africa is probably the most dangerous country in the world.

No you dumb shit, it's really not. Stop trying to act smart by pretending to know about a place you've probably never even been to.

TcheQ 12

Your friend cares for your welfar, why is that bad? And how did you not know South Africa is a dangerous place for any tourist?

bripoo 8

It is the rape and AIDS capital of the world

Come visit & see for yourself how beautiful & friendly it really is here. Like almost every country in the world, bad things happen, but guns, pit bulls, etc is unfortunately outright exaggeration.

lol. I am a Canadian, studying in Johburg for the last six years. and yeah... the taser won't be enough. Trust me. common sense is your best bet. Also strictly follow any rules your friend makes for you :)