By It'd be nice to see you too. - 09/06/2014 02:17 - United States - Minneapolis

Today, at my all-night senior party, I was talking to the blind girl who I haven't had classes with since 9th grade. I unthinkingly opened the conversation with "Nice to see you again." FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 521
You deserved it 9 683

Same thing different taste

Comments

What do you call a deer with no eyes? No idea.

Urpoppy 21

There's nothing wrong with saying that. It's a common expression and I'm sure that she has no problem with it.

I'm totally blind myself and it drives me absolutely crazy when people walk on eggshells around me or try and come up with creative ways to avoid saying the words "blind", "see", "watch", and so on. I watch movies, and I say "see you later". Just be normal. She'll appreciate you a lot more.

No offense but, how did you read and comment on this fml if you are completely blind?

There are several ways. 1. JAWS. 2. Zoomtext. 3. Voice Over. 4. Microsoft magnifier. 5. A braille display. 6. Whatever Galaxy is calling their screen reading technology. I personally use the Microsoft magnifier a vast majority of the time, and JAWS for long readings. I also use Voice Over on my phone. Also, don't worry, there is no way that came out as offensive. (Not sarcastic) It is a very common misconception. Two things you can more safely assume about blind people, we're horrible spellers, and have bad gag reflexes.

Other people may feel differently about this, but in general, blind people feel like they're equal to sighted people in the world, and talking about or to them like they're less of a person or blindness is a terrible thing is actually more offensive than just treating them normally.

While I mostly agree with your first comment, I need to point something in this one. "Blind people feel like they're equal to sighted people." Excuse me, I am blind, and I don't feel equal, I am equal. For a totally blind persona, this is a big word mix up you made. O.P. Take it from someone that has been legally blind since birth. What you said is in no way offensive, and if you did make it awkward, I'd expect her just to rub it in a little. 99% of blind people wouldn't get offended by this. As others have said, it's just a figure of speach, and technically, you did see her again, even though she couldn't see you. I say "See you later" all the time, the only person I say "Feel you later" to would be my girlfriend, and only when I'm sure she can't hear me. Sorry about the long winded comment. In short, O.P. don't worry about a thing. #33, watch what you say.

LOL, you bastard. She had it coming anyway xD

It's nice to see you too... I lied, I can't see sht

lasagnanarcotics 14

Lmao its okay, Ryan Seacrest tried to high fivr a blind guy..

Don't feel bad, you were just trying to be nice and phrases like that are so much a part of our language it's not as if people take them literally.