By Cheer4Life - 11/11/2013 21:41 - United States - Bloomington

Today, after making several comments about how I didn't exactly look thin, my boyfriend said, "Well, at least we know you'll look good pregnant." FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 134
You deserved it 10 176

Same thing different taste

Top comments

These are the kind of reactions you can expect when you make comments about weight...sorry :/

rhcpgurl 18

At least he was trying to make a compliment. Keyword: Trying.

Comments

These are the kind of reactions you can expect when you make comments about weight...sorry :/

Take it as a compliment; you WILL be getting pregnant.

#28 You have an interesting way of looking at compliments

I guess op can start coming up with baby names then

I know I always struggle with what to say when someone starts complaining about their weight. I don't want to say something like "oh, no! You're not fat!" Because that really wouldn't accomplish anything if that person doesn't believe you, and something like "you look good to me" doesn't help that much either if the person doesn't look good to themselves. It's just a really awkward subject.

Yeah, responding to someone who truly believes they're fat is really weird. If you tell them they're not, they won't believe you. If you tell them they are, they'll remember it for the rest of forever.

And then you have the attention seekers. The size 1 who talks about how fat she is just for the compliments

GwennaRose 22

41 the boyfriend did say she would look "good" pregnant. Compliment

I've learned to not even respond, they eventually will stop saying anything about their weight. Or...There was this one girl who always complained about her weight but was in fact skinny. So one day her friend took her cookies and ate them cause "she didn't need the calories anyways". The girl never fished for compliments again.

janv13rlijafari 1

It's all about subtlety. Ask them if they like the way that they look. If they say no, then kindly suggest doing a brief lifestyle makeover. Tell them it's about making THEMSELVES happy. Otherwise, tell them that they don't look bad, but perhaps they would look better in a different outfit (something black or any darker color, something flattering).

I think she meant he made those comments

preach, 56. Body Dismorphic Disorder (BDD) is a thing and people can't choose it. they aren't looking for compliments either. they see themselves as obese even when others see flesh and bones.

It's a compliment in a way, saying you look good already and then knowing for sure you look good in pregnancy. Fishing for compliments won't get you the best compliments you expect.

Yes yes, to 56 and 87 both you guys took the words out of my mouth. I get looked at like I'm crazy when I say I want to loose more weight because everyone already thinks I'm tiny but I don't see it. So yeah, not everyone who is a size 1 and complains is attention seeking, a lot of us have serious mental illnesses, so remember that next time before you think someone is just fishing for compliments.

If you don't like like the way you look, then change the way you look. If you have a serious mental illness, see your doctor, take your meds, and do your work. If you have mild insecurities, stay away from mean girls and fashion magazines. If you want a compliment, say "Tell me I look nice" -- asking for it doesn't make it not count. Otherwise, STFU.

#46, she could have an eating disorder and honestly believe she is fat. Like myself, who is a size 0. That's not always a correct assumption, and personally pissed me off.

#56 Thank you! I hadn't seen your comment before I posted because #46 made me so mad I had to respond right away, aha

I dated a chick who claimed it was a health thing. Then i noticed her snacking 5x daily. She was getting her daily intake with chocolate alone

rhcpgurl 18

At least he was trying to make a compliment. Keyword: Trying.

T9FTW 20

That's exactly what I was saying. Clearly, OP's boyfriend has no experience in dealing with female emotions.

HeyHeyFishFillet 34

In the defense of OP's boyfriend, there's seldom any answer that a guy can give that can satisfy a woman when she asks about her weight.

I mean, he did say she would look good pregnant which means he thinks she's attractive exactly how she is even if she isn't the thinnest. It's a compliment. An ass backwards one, but a compliment all the same. Explain to him why that was a very poor choice of wording and get over it. Your guy genuinely thinks you're attractive, be glad.

ninety 25

Or just let it go, at that point she would just be nit-picking. She asked him a loaded question and should be glad he didn't outright tell her she was fat, even just to be a smartass.

adkim78 17

Hey, at least you don't look like a stick, right?

hey come on not everybody hates skinny chicks

Yeah what's wrong with being a stick? Many girls like myself can't help it.

^Coming from miss "this isn't a dating site" who has her boobs hanging out all over the place. Just keep fishing, just keep fishing...

Maybe OP wasn't fishing for compliments - she could have been seeking confirmation from her boyfriend - which I consider very different. Also! It doesn't matter if some people like "skinny" girls and some people like "fat" girls, people don't exist for the approval of others. So, if you're "fat" and feel skinny, if you're "skinny" and feel fat, or any mix - its no ones business but yours!

I don't think it's about preference or it being anyone's business but our own, but about the way no one can be anything without being judged, like 3's comment here. I know there's nothing wrong with the way I am but it doesn't make it okay to say.

Better than saying "At least it takes the attention off your face". FYL OP.

Did you make the comments about how you didn't look thin or him? Sorry I'm honestly confused.

Comet_Candy 23

I believe OP was making the comments about herself.

6-- I was wondering the same thing. Op-- if you were making the comments, YDI for fishing for compliments.

The_Big_Boss 20

Start working out if it bothers you so much

Exactly number 7! Complaining about your weight won't do anything. If you're genuinely unhappy with your body, the whole pity party, fishing for compliments thing won't help you at all. Take things into your own hands and start exercising and eating right.

gemstone586 12

have either of you ACTUALLY struggled to lose weight? it isn't always that simple.

You can't kill a guy for trying to make you feel better, right? Even if it was a backhanded compliment.

At least he was being honest, that really counts in a relationship.

Honesty is a great policy! At least he didn't outright call you fat.

buttcramp 21

oh for sure! especially since she was fishing for compliments