Poof, gone!

By Me - 12/09/2011 07:36 - United States

Today, I found out that my parents used all of the college money I have been saving up for 8 years to buy a beach house. The reason they waited until now to tell me? A tree fell on it, and they need more money for repairs. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 368
You deserved it 2 492

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why did your parents have access to it in the first place if it's money YOU were saving. My parents can't go into my accounts.

Comments

Letting your parents have access to your money is questionnable, but letting them USE the money without you having a clue is just plain stupid. FYL, yes, but you deserve it, sorry. Tip: file charges for theft.

hebron77 0

It doesn't sound like the OP "let" his parents spend the money. seeing as he just found out they bought the beach house.

Did he never check the balance in the 8 years?

sunshineegirl 2

under 18 & parents can use your money if they want, your money is their money until you turn 18...not much OP can do unless they are 18..

OP may not have had a choice. or didn't know they had gotten access. I had a savings account when I was 12 and had to have a guardian on it with me. I went back one day to find out that someone had cleared it out and closed it without my knowledge.

let it go OP, your parents raised you up..

They stole ******* eight years worth of money, and you're telling him to let it go?!

Are you serious #13? I certainly hope not. You can't expect to have kids and force them to pay you back when they turn 18. The parents decide to have the kid, the kid doesn't decide for the parents to have them.

#13: There's no way you would save money FOR COLLEGE for eight years-enough to buy a beach house-have it stolen from you, be asked for more money from the thieves and then just "let it go" that's fyl for real op. Karma isn't done with them...

hebron77 0

If they didn't have the money to raise the kid they shouldn't have had sex.(Safe sex can fail too) The kid didn't ask to be born. It's the parents responsibility to raise the kid well. so, that whole "they raised you" argument is stupid.

Picture this; you've worked hard ever since you were young just to find out its all lost to a beach house that isnt even legally yours.

I don't see how much would it be to repair a house, who knows what is the amount of the money..

catkat1988 17

If I were you I'd tell my parents that either they find a way - any way - to pay me back, or I report them for theft. I can't believe the number of parents on FML who steal from their children, ranging from gas money to complicated identity theft.

14 - that I can understand; your family had to eat, and they presumably at least told you what they were doing and why. It's pretty bad, but understandable. Using your kid's money to buy a beach house? Not quite in the same league in terms of necessity! The beach house can, and should, be sold and the money given back to the OP. Edit - this was @ Patrickalamo - the comments are all getting shuffled about.

RedPillSucks 31

If they have access to the account, OP can't file theft charges. If it was actually OPs money, and not the parents money, then perhaps OP can talk to the bank.

Nowadays theres a slim chance that the teller/manager will beleive him/her

I had thousands in savings bond from when I was very young, to be used for college. My folks spend them all when times got tuff for food. I had to let it go. Move on but don't trust them with your money.

Same thing happened to me. But a beach house isn't food, it is a totally unnecessary and selfish purchase.

LovestoSing 1

I agree, if they had used the money to survive that would be one thing... This was OP's money that they earned which the f*cked up parents STOLE! Totally different!

getting food when you need to eat is one thing but they got a beach house and then had the gall to ask for money to repair it.

If you're under 18, in some places you have to have a parent connected to your bank account. This resulted in my parents removing all of my money from my account when I was a minor without my permission. Nothing you can do about it. Sorry OP.

I guess it's community collage for you now

lmw562 3

Take ownership. Get a loan using the house as collateral. Continue working and either sell or live there

After the house is fixed, you have a swanky new place to hang out, catch some rays, have a few piña coladas, and plot how to have your parents committed to an insane asylum. Enjoy your new freedom!

iAmScrubs 19

My parents demand to know my bank pin. They aren't stealing anything, but they think it's necessary for some reason.

Well.. for some other reason they shouldn't :)

eliasqfuntybunt 2