Freaked out

By AnxietyGirl - 24/09/2012 07:18 - United States - Parker

Today, I had to admit that I desperately need anti-anxiety medication. Apparently, when you walk around a grocery store avoiding eye contact and generally acting "sketchy", management will call the police on you, who will then pat you down to be sure you aren't shoplifting. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 603
You deserved it 2 550

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Lots of people avoid eye contact. I hope there's more to it than that to make you say you need medication. You could have left off the first sentence and had a perfectly valid FML.

sarahlove281 4

Her FML is referencing how embarrassing her anxiety is. She feels ashamed of herself. It's not necessarily about the getting patted down part.

Comments

Lots of people avoid eye contact. I hope there's more to it than that to make you say you need medication. You could have left off the first sentence and had a perfectly valid FML.

sarahlove281 4

Her FML is referencing how embarrassing her anxiety is. She feels ashamed of herself. It's not necessarily about the getting patted down part.

Lots of people are amazing people behind close doors, away from the general public. You don't need medicines. The side effects are worse than the benefits. All the best.

lacespace 8

I agree with you. ^ I dated a guy who was put on medication very young and he grew up with a lot of resentment towards doctors who jump directly to drugs as a quick fix.

I don't talk to strangers, but I make sure I know if there are people around me because I donkt want to encounter someone who is evil.

pabst4america 1

Haha I ******* love Tourette's guy your pic is priceless

Some people really do need meds. My parents actually ended up taking me to the hospital twice because of my anxiety. I'd start freaking out really bad. And usually I felt better at school but eventually it got so bad that I was super nervous at school too. I definitely needed meds at that point. The meds help a lot but I still have anxiety, although its definitely better than before. Its not a huge problem but I'm always worried that will happen to me. I try avoiding eye contact too sometimes and when I get anxiety I know I probably look a bit odd. But that only makes me more nervous, thinking about how I probably look suspicious.

I hope you get the meds you need and that they'll work for you. Good luck OP.

wooboo608 1

Sometimes medication isn't the best option. Side effects can cause new problems, plus no one wants to be dependent on a pill to function properly in society. In cases like this it might be worth looking into some counseling before going straight for the drugs option

Oh I definitely agree. It sounded to me like the option was already given to the OP (by a doctor or psychologist) and that she now had to admit it might be indeed a good idea. But if that's not the case it would definitely be better to talk to someone first.

expertsmilee 26

If you aren't taking anything off the shelf or looking like you're actually shopping I can kind of see why they might think that though.

Unless they see you put something into your pocket, they have no right to assume anything. You now have a case against the store for false accusation.

perdix 29

Of course, a police pat down is a sure cure for anxiety. Do you know where the cop's hands have been? You need to cover yourself in hand sanitizer and then shower until you get the germs off!

You're thinking about OCD. Anxiety is usually more socially related than to extreme hygiene.

OCD is a mental disorder that falls under the anxiety umbrella. I know this because my little brother has severe OCD. He is on anti-anxiety medication because when his OCD thoughts and behavior act up, he will even tell you the first thing he feels is anxious and then that leads into other emotions like anger and frustration. Then he acts out in a way that anyone could tell its really anxiety.

Where I am from, cops must wear gloves before a search and also be the same gender.

perdix 29

#37, Yeah, but who says where the cop's gloves have been? Are they fancy-pants cops who open a new, sterile pair of gloves each time, or normal ones who pat you down with the same mitts they recently used to perform a cavity search on a hobo? Now, I'm starting to get anxious.

Um.. If any cop kept a glove that they used to do a cavity search on a hobo... I'd be more worried about the police then germs... Germs you can wash off and get rid of.. ****** up police are harder to take care of...

Police: Ma'am, what's that? OP: What's what? I don't know what you're talking about! Police: Ma'am, is that a sausage down your pants? OP: Uh, no. I'm just happy to see you.

Definently not a Walmart. They get all kinds of sketchy people.

I always hope no one thinks I'm gonna steal stuff when I go and aimlessly stroll around Walmart

noisebox 1

What kind of advice is that? The management did nothing wrong, it's those persons' job to pat people down. If anyone would sue, you don't even have a case. Please, think logically.

Depending on where it happened then OP could have some legal grounds.

TahoeFMler 22

I agree. You can't be patted down legally (even by the police) unless they saw you put something in a pocket or have you on camera. Looking sketchy isn't enough.

Fishinaddict22 1

19- In your logic you could be cavity searched because you look suspicious. The law suit is on the grounds of harassment. Because of situations like this companies are instructed to let the person leave and check the security tapes. Said person technically has not shoplifted until they leave the store. At that point they are off store property and running them down would be grounds for assault. Not saying this is right by any means but sadly it's how things work these days.

Anti-anxiety meds f*** you up. I wouldn't suggest taking them

I used to take them when my anxiety was severe, but there's so many side effects. It's like adding more shit on top of a pile of shit.